VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CliffEdge

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by CliffEdge »

I recently came across this new feature on VBox 6 and decided to give it a go. Has anyone tested it on AMD-V? I'm seeing here only VT-x but AMD is not mentioned as unsupported so...

Fresh install of VirtualBox on a machine that never had VB installed. HyperV and Windows Hypervisor Platform are enabled, HyperV vms are working fine.

Hardware: AMD Threadripper 2950x, 64 GB RAM

VM is not even starting, exiting with "(VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API). AMD-V is not available (VERR_SVM_NO_SVM)." error.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2019-05-04-22-35-02.zip
(7.05 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
FrankNFurter

Post by FrankNFurter »

Hi,
I recently changed to new Hardware and want to install a fresh Ubuntu Server as VM. When starting the VM it stucks:
UbuntuVM.jpg
UbuntuVM.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 23915 times
I already disabled Hyper-V in Windows Features and stopped all services running related to Hyper-V.
Any suggestions?
logs.zip
(54.15 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The green turtle icon (bottom right corner of your image) shows that you haven't got all of the Windows host features that use Hyper-V disabled. The guest probably hasn't got stuck it is just running so glacially slow that it looks like it. The current known list of items you need to check are disabled are:
  • Application Guard
  • Credential Guard
  • Device Guard
  • <any> * Guard
  • Containers
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
Once you have all of them disabled and the virtualisation in working correctly then the turtle will be replaced by a blue 'V' logo.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
fditolla

Post by fditolla »

In my case after enabling Hyper-V I had to make few changes to make it work again.
I run Linux under Windows, e.g. Debian, CentOS or Ubuntu.
Now I have Debian again runnung after that I have made this changes:
- I have selected "Hyper-V" as paravirtualizaziontion interface under System->Acceleration
- I have disabeld "I/O APIC" under Motherboard -> Advanced features (necessary otherwise I get a kernel panic due to APIC not working)
- I have reduced the number of CPU's to 1 (required by previous step)

the machine boots but it is monumentally slow and essentially unusable.
I don't know if this is the best I can get out of Hyper-V.
clintonm8

Post by clintonm8 »

I have tried using Hyper-V and VirtualBox 6.0 on 2 Windows host with no lock.

There is not much documentation related to this. I see it does say "When using this feature, you might experience significant Oracle VM VirtualBox performance degradation on some host systems."

Has anyone been able to get this to work and it be usable? I would love if VirtualBox could work with Hyper-V since so many things rely on that (Docker/WSLv2, etc)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

clintonm8 wrote:Has anyone been able to get this to work and it be usable?
Seriously? You're in a thread that deals with the exact same question, did you happen to read the thread from the beginning?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
clintonm8

Post by clintonm8 »

People go to a forum to report issues, not when things work. So I didn't know, sorry. I went here because Microsoft employees are saying VirtualBox works with Hyper-V now. So I figured someone had it working. It was in Microsoft devblogs for wsl2 faq comment section.

My unneeded opinion; devs should make this a priority.
Last edited by socratis on 23. May 2019, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

clintonm8 wrote:People go to a forum to report issues, not when things work
With that logic, I wouldn't expect anyone to answer your question "if anyone got this to work successfully"... ;)

But, to answer your question. It has been shown to work (read the thread), not in all of the cases, still trying to compile the results of what works and what doesn't. But, it's slow. Really slow. Molasses slow. And it's not because of lack of trying... Call me biased, but VirtualBox has had multiple times the virtualization experience than Hyper-V or KVM has. I expect things to improve over time as the back-engine (Hyper-V/KVM/HypervisorFramework) improve, as well as the front end (VirtualBox) tapping in those engines.

For the first incarnation, expect bumpy weather.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
clintonm8

Post by clintonm8 »

Thanks. I did email some of my Microsoft friends yesterday and quoted you (hope that is okay), "performance equal to the flow of molasses in the Arctic circle during winter".

I appreciate the comment about the experience, unfortunately, I do require to run Docker on my computer so I was excited when I heard about WSL v2 (w/ docker support), but when I saw it required Hyper-V, I just smacked myself in the face. I love VirtualBox and everything it has to offer.
Last edited by socratis on 23. May 2019, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
fditolla

Post by fditolla »

clintonm8 wrote:I went here because Microsoft employees are saying VirtualBox works with Hyper-V now.
In the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhMThePdIo if you go to minute 51 you can here a guy asking why he cannot get the Andoid debugger or virtual box working when Hyper-V is used.
The MS guy answers that yes WSL2 uses Hyper-V, and it works with Android emulation, and again they are providing the APIs to other teams (he does not mentioan virtual box directly), so for them it is up to Virtual box developers to catch up with the Hyper-V APIs, from what I get :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Calling an API, is one thing. Running efficiently with that API, that's a whole different game.
BTW, VirtualBox *is* calling the Hyper-V API, otherwise it wouldn't work at all.
fditolla

Post by fditolla »

I agree.
The architecture they show actually indicates that also the windows kernel runs above Hyper-V.
If that is true at boot Hyper-V should start even before windows and windows should use the same API, and it should be possible to be efficient with the API.
I'm not sure about that picture.
Attachments
WSL2_small.jpg
WSL2_small.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 23520 times
g_sparkes

Post by g_sparkes »

This is true. Hyper-V is a tier-1 hypervisor just like ESXi or Xen. It has always run below the windows kernel in all incarnations, even the original in server 2008.

In all scenarios, Hyper-V always runs below the OS - think of the windows desktop as if it were dom0 in Xen. In Hyper-V speak this is the 'root partition'.

All the new windows security functions actually rely on running VM / partitions separate from the root partition to isolate critical security functionality as well as handling code integrity/verification stuff.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... chitecture
Last edited by socratis on 3. Jun 2019, 06:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
lewis pringle

Using VirtualBox 6 with HyperV

Post by lewis pringle »

I've seen dozens of posts on this forum about this subject, but not with a solution. Several people say this does work. But not what to do to make it work.

My Windows version is 1903 (18362.113)
Virtualbox 6.0.8r1
Error message:
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I've attached the log from my last run attempt.

As you can see from the log, I have HyperV enabled (because I'm using Docker for Windows).
Attachments
Windows 8.1 Pro (base) VM-2019-06-03-20-44-07.log
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Last edited by socratis on 4. Jun 2019, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

lewis pringle wrote:I've seen dozens of posts on this forum about this subject
... which is why I merged your post with the existing thread that deals with it.