VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by BillG »

That seems to be pretty much the situation at the moment. Nothing aborts, but the process just seems to hang. If you look in Task Manager the process stops responding after a while.
TaskManager.PNG
Bill
ikbosh

Post by ikbosh »

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I'm currently successfully booting without issue. However I'm not certain it's an Ubuntu 64-bit image (I recall you mentioning 32-Bit stuff earlier Bill).

For people trying this, please ensure you have "Windows Hypervisor Platform" enabled, as well as the Hyper-V platform in the Windows Features.
Outside of that, to provide potentially useful insight to those wanting to test further. I usually only use Hyper-V, but a software stack I wanted to test provided a dev environment in OVA format for Virtualbox.
So I went and installed VirtualBox after seeing this thread to give it a whirl, and I've had success. In-case there was some specific setting or information relevant to the solution, the software Stack I got the OVA from was Cyphon (not sure if I can post a link).

Let me know if I can help in any way further,
Attachments
Proof :) Sorry about JPEG
Proof :) Sorry about JPEG
HyperV-VirtualBox.jpg (119.13 KiB) Viewed 48629 times
mouving

Post by mouving »

I am using Win10 Pro x64 Build 1809 and Virtualbox 6.0.2 and I am trying to get a 64bit Linux Guest with Hyper-V working.

Hyper-v is enabled.

The Linux Guest Ubuntu 16.04 starts not really, after I press Enter in the Grub the VM freezes.

Attached the Log file, hope this helps to get this working in future.
Attachments
linux_build-2019-01-17-13-03-14.zip
64bit_ubuntu1604_guest_not_booting_hyper_v
(14.83 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
ikbosh

Post by ikbosh »

Have you enabled both Hyper-V Platform and Hypervisor Platform?
Attachments
Both.png
Both.png (7.89 KiB) Viewed 48593 times
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2019, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mouving

Post by mouving »

ikbosh wrote:Have you enabled both Hyper-V Platform and Hypervisor Platform?
Yes, they were both enabled.

Now they are no longer, as I switched back to use virtualbox without Hyper-V support..

I thought I share my log maybe someone see the Problem an it get's fixed ;-)
nathaniel515

Post by nathaniel515 »

I do have the correct features enabled. Before I enabled the Hypervisor Framework Virtualbox wouldn't start VMs at all. Now it starts them but they never finish booting up, and Virtualbox freezes up (although it returns to normal after forcing the VM to quit). I've tried Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 guests without success, and am attaching the logs here. Unfortunately the log output stops pretty soon after bootup and doesn't seem to have any relevant information. Resource Monitor shows constant usage of 1 full thread by "Vmmem" which is presumably the native hypervisor that Virtualbox is launching (since that's the process name used by Hyper-V VMs).

Ironically, I have been able to get an operating system from a certain company named after a fruit to start up, although it freezes after a few minutes for no apparent reason without showing any error in the logs except something about not being able to send input to the VM. If simply alluding to this breaks the rules I'm sorry. I thought it was important to specify that I have had some success with VBox 6 and hyper v.
Attachments
win10_VBox.log
(64.82 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
ubuntu1804_VBox.log
(65.5 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That seems consistent with what I have seen. Everything looks fine until the vm actually tries to do anything, and then it hangs.

I don't know what is different about the systems where this actually works and ours, but hopefully the devs will sort it out.
Bill
nathaniel515

Post by nathaniel515 »

This still isn't fixed with 6.0.4. Should we file a bug report or something?

Also, I tried with a Windows 98 guest as the guy who got it working did. Still no luck.
mouving

Post by mouving »

harryT

Post by harryT »

I am also having trouble with Hyper-V with virtualbox
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

harryT wrote:I am also having trouble with Hyper-V with virtualbox
You are going to have to be way more descriptive about the problems that you are having if you want some help. +1 type responses don't really help anyone.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
harryT

Extremely slow performance on Windows 10 (Hyper-V disabled)

Post by harryT »

I am having trouble with Virtualbox on my machine on a Windows 10 host. It is extremely, extremely slow. I have asked other people and they seem to not have this problem.
I have tried both Hyper-V and VMWareplayer and they seem to be unaffected by Windows 10. Is there something I can do to debug this?

Just to give context of the speed decrease, a build which I am performing does it in 5 minutes whereas in Hyper-v this is performed in 2 minutes.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@harryT,
Andy asked you for details, you went ahead and created a new thread. Not what Andy (or anyone else) was asking for... I merged your new thread right in the post that it belonged.

Now, you may have noticed that other people that are affected, have posted their logs, so we can see what's going on, rather than starting shooting in the dark. How about you do the same, OK? And although it's repeated throughout this thread and in the forums, to the point that it's really starting to become invasive and annoying, here it goes once again...

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
irak

Post by irak »

Newer Log now running 1903 os build 18381
Attachments
Resource Manager-2019-03-17-09-43-12.zip
(7.62 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
ionoskarl
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, cent os

Post by ionoskarl »

nathaniel515 wrote:I do have the correct features enabled. Before I enabled the Hypervisor Framework Virtualbox wouldn't start VMs at all. Now it starts them but they never finish booting up, and Virtualbox freezes up (although it returns to normal after forcing the VM to quit). I've tried Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 guests without success, and am attaching the logs here. Unfortunately the log output stops pretty soon after bootup and doesn't seem to have any relevant information. Resource Monitor shows constant usage of 1 full thread by "Vmmem" which is presumably the native hypervisor that Virtualbox is launching (since that's the process name used by Hyper-V VMs).

Ironically, I have been able to get an operating system from a certain company named after a fruit to start up, although it freezes after a few minutes for no apparent reason without showing any error in the logs except something about not being able to send input to the VM. If simply alluding to this breaks the rules I'm sorry. I thought it was important to specify that I have had some success with VBox 6 and hyper v.
Hi nathaniel515,
I hvae just tried to open your log win10_VBox.log and my kaspersky antivirus has alerted my of malware. Only me or others have experienced the same?