VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
zgsuo

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by zgsuo »

Sounds good. Thanks.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

-> Does not work with VirtualBox 6.0.12 after executing "DISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V /NoRestart" and restarting Windows. It has bricked my VirtualBox:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94790
regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

-> "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" seems to work for bypassing the problem: https://github.com/kubernetes/minikube/issues/4587
regards, jan
Rikipm

Post by Rikipm »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:-> "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" seems to work for bypassing the problem: https://github.com/kubernetes/minikube/issues/4587
Yes, but it will turn off Hyper-V guests
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

I installed Hyper-V because it want to the its "vEthernet" (external ones) adapters, which can act in a bridge the to computer's physical NIC.

https://superuser.com/questions/1299022 ... ysical-nic

That seems to works, i can use that "vEthernet" adapter in VirtualBox (in my case as a bridge too) without any problems. That's all, i don't use Hyper-V for virtualization.
regards, jan
bluezues

Post by bluezues »

So, ultimately can I start virtualbox with hyper-v active?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@'bluezues'
What's preventing you from actually trying it, and sharing your experience. Is it that difficult? I thought it was easy to turn Hyper-V on, but on the other hand I don't have a Host that's able to use Hyper-V, maybe I'm missing something...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bluezues

Post by bluezues »

@socratis
I asked this question, because I also had a negative experience in starting Virtualbox with Hyper-v enabled. The usual mistake:
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).
But I understood that someone had managed to start the virtual machine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have yet to see a successful attempt. But on the other hand, nobody has the ... urge to report a success, only failures are reported. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FirstVoid

Post by FirstVoid »

socratis wrote:I have yet to see a successful attempt. But on the other hand, nobody has the ... urge to report a success, only failures are reported. ;)
Mine always works with the ring 0 change as per the instructions I posted previously, removal of certain antivirus or other third party filter driver based products. It works every time for me on all the Lenovo systems i've tested it on. Be nice to see it move forward out of experimental.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FirstVoid wrote:Mine always works with the ring 0 change
That's not just obviously, but blatantly-hits-me-on-the-head workaround! :)
FirstVoid wrote:Be nice to see it move forward out of experimental
The Direct3D support is experimental for the last 10 years. So is OSX guest support...
FirstVoid

Post by FirstVoid »

What hardware/os/version did it start working without the ring 0 workaround for you?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I didn't say I got it to work... ;)
FirstVoid

Post by FirstVoid »

socratis wrote:I didn't say I got it to work... ;)
I guess that's why no ones posting a success as it doesn't work without the "workaround" >:)
Jay-Cee

Post by Jay-Cee »

Well then...
I guess that's why no ones posting a success as it doesn't work without the "workaround" >:)
Let me do it: SUCCESS!

To be honest I'm by far not any kind of pro but (more or less) stumbled over a solution which might possibly be related to this thread.

First things first...
I'm running Win 10 pro V1903 (Build 18362.418)
Just did a fresh install of VirtualBox v6.0.12r133076(Qt5.6.2)
Then i tried to get to run a new VM for Linux 18.04.
Well obviously it didn't start (otherwise I wouldn't have found this thread :-) )

The overall point of soultion was NOT to totally disable ALL parts of Hyper-V.
So in the Windows-Features I have the following: (Trying to translate windows's german descriptions...)
-> Hyper-V -> Hyper-V-Platform -> Hyper-V-Services "enabled"
-> Hyper-V -> Hyper-V-Platform -> Hyper-V-Hypervisor "disabled"
-> Hyper-V -> Hyper-V-Management tools -> all "disabled"
-> Windows-Hypervisor-Platform "disabled"
-> Windows-Sandbox "disabled" (don't know if this matters. Moreover I guess it does... so i shut it down)
-> Platform for virtual computers "disabled" (don't know if this matters. I don't need it so i shut it down)

May be this is not as elaborated and detailed as it should be in this "professional's" threads.
But then, may be it helps some else with similar problems.
Just wanted to tell :)
And sorry for my bad English as German is my native language.

Regards,
Jay-Cee