Version 6.0.0 Snapshot Bug

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JayEm

Version 6.0.0 Snapshot Bug

Post by JayEm »

ModEdit
This discussion/thread has inadvertently expanded to cover 5 different cases of "restoring saved state" issues. The reason was that there were/are multiple issues with this procedure in early 6.0.x versions, and the symptoms/causes were not clear cut from the beginning. This thread covers so far the following known issues:

• #18212: Windows 10 Host - Hardening error - VMs do not start
  • #18263: Restoring 32bit Windows7 VM Saved State Fails
  • #18265: Win7 in VB 6.0.0 fails on resume on 97%
  • #18331: Restoring 32bit Windows XP VM Saved State Fails
  • #18470: Ubuntu image fails to load - 'HGCM' (VERR_TOO_MUCH_DATA).

For up-to-date information, please check the "Known Issues" in the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" post.

I have a Windows XP x86 Guest Machine here on a Windows 10 x64 Host, with latest december patches.
If i try to start an existing snapshot which was taken from running machine, it crashes (see attachment).
If i discard the running snapshot and start the machine with normal boot, the machine works.
If i take a new snapshot when running, i can't restore this new snapshot - same error as attached.
Attachments
2018-12-18 21_36_15-VirtualBoxVM.exe - Fehler in Anwendung.png
2018-12-18 21_36_15-VirtualBoxVM.exe - Fehler in Anwendung.png (8.13 KiB) Viewed 10285 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Version 6.0.0 Final Snapshot Bug

Post by socratis »

JayEm wrote:If i try to start an existing snapshot which was taken from running machine, it crashes (see attachment).
That is to expected (most of the times) if the snapshot was taken with a different VirtualBox version. You need to completely shutdown all your VMs when ugrading. It's analogous to changing your physical hardware while your computer is asleep/hibernating; it's going to panic when it wakes up...
JayEm wrote:If i discard the running snapshot and start the machine with normal boot, the machine works.
That's the workaround for the previous error. That, or downgrading to the last version of VirtualBox that you took the snapshot with, shutting down the VM from within the VM, then upgrading VirtualBox.
JayEm wrote:If i take a new snapshot when running, i can't restore this new snapshot - same error as attached.
Now, this needs more explanation. Can you describe exactly what you're doing, the steps to reproduce it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tutu

Post by tutu »

I have the same problem restoring snapshots with XP on a windows 7 64 SP1 PC. Everything was perfect in the previous version. New snapshots fail the same.

pasteboard .co/HSnCi1k.png

to reproduce? use an xp x86 machine, create a snapshot, try restore.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@tutu
Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...

Other than that, see my previous response...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tutu

Post by tutu »

Ok.
Attachments
VirtualBoxVM exception.png
VirtualBoxVM exception.png (22.87 KiB) Viewed 10263 times
tutu

Post by tutu »

Its a bug in Virtualbox, new snapshots fail the same as old snapshots.
tutu

Post by tutu »

I'll switch back to the previous version until this is ironed out. Anything I could do for you before I switch?
Attachments
Bug.png
Bug.png (21.23 KiB) Viewed 10263 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can't reproduce it on an OSX 10.11.6 host.
I asked for the exact steps to reproduce this, not a verdict.
@tutu, you need to start giving me more details, not crashing pictures, can't do anything with them... ;)
tutu

Post by tutu »

look in my previous comment. I'm using Windows 7 SP1 64 machine... all the latest updates with an XP sp3 x86 VM machine with all the latest updates; same verdict as the win 10 machine above.
tutu

Post by tutu »

If there is anything else I can share let me know, and let me know how to produce them.
tutu

Post by tutu »

switched back to the previous version, problem solved.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid these are NOT the steps to reproduce it. A lot of people are using your host. And? What I'm looking for is something similar to:
  1. Start the VM from a cold boot.
  2. Take a snapshot (while the VM is running) OR (after you shut it down) OR (by closing the VM from the "x").
  3. (Try to restore the (1st) OR (2nd) OR (3rd) snapshot) OR (while the VM is running try to revert to the (previous) OR (the 2nd before the last) OR (the live snapshot) OR (the snapshot when shutdown).
I hope you understand what does "describe the steps to reproduce this" mean better now...
tutu

Post by tutu »

-1. Use a Windows 7 Sp1 x64 bit machine, with an XP SP3 32bit VM
0. Update to Virtualbox 6.0.0.
0a. Install Virtualbox Guest Additions 6.0.0 in safemode. Reboot or
1. Start the VM from cold boot, or try resume a previous session. (resuming from previous will give the same crash error)
2. Take a snapshot while VM is running after cold boot, or save snapshot on shutdown (results are the same)
3. Shut down VM.
4. Restore any snapshot
5. It crashes.
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

Steps to reproduce:
1. Cold Boot XP VM
2. When running, take snapshot.
3. Shut down VM or simple close it
4. Restore snapshot.

It crashes at 97%, screenshot attached.

It happens only with XP guest machines. Other OS work fine.

It is basic system configuration, no special configuration done.

Tested on another Windows 10 x64 Pro (1809) with latest patches and different XP guest system, same problem.
Attachments
2018-12-19 07_50_41-Window.png
2018-12-19 07_50_41-Window.png (58.67 KiB) Viewed 10237 times
tutu

Post by tutu »

Me too. Exact same steps, crashes at 97% on Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601, running XP x86 VM