Version 6.0.0 Snapshot Bug

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jacob Klein

Re: Version 6.0.0 Final Snapshot Bug

Post by Jacob Klein »

Can you give me (and/or the community), some files and steps to reproduce it?
I'd like to ... get a good repro, and track it, if possible.
Last edited by socratis on 9. Mar 2019, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AFAIK, there are 4 different issues (at least) regarding the saved-state restoration.
  1. the 97% crash (#18265),
  2. the LsiLogic one (#18263),
  3. the HCGM one (#6314, #18470), and
  4. Jacob's (#18212).
Not all of them have been addressed.

If you are facing a specific crash, that has a ticket attached to it, like in your case Jacob, please confirm on the ticket, like you did Jacob. There's no point in comparing notes from 4 different problems... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I didn't realize this thread included multiple problems, when I posted. Oy, bit of a mess.
Not sure how best to manage that - maybe keep a tally in post 1 or something?
Sorry for adding confusion.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:Not sure how best to manage that - maybe keep a tally in post 1 or something?
I don't really know how to handle this... Maybe I'll put a note on the first post, but I don't see myself splitting the thread in 4 different ones. Not all the evidence is laid out in every post, and by the time that we figured out what the problem(s) was (were), it was too late. Even the "Final" throws me off sometimes... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
oferlaor

Post by oferlaor »

It’s pretty clear that the focus here is on 97% crash issue.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Yeah. I'm sorry.

Does anyone have a VM and steps that I can try to reproduce the crash with?

Edit: I think I'll try these steps later to see if they're a solid repro:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90825&start=15#p436715
.... hopefully that's the issue you all are wanting to be fixed.
oferlaor

Post by oferlaor »

It happens on any windows xp VM when you save state and try to revert to it. It does not happen on VB 5.2 or if you start a shutdown VM without restoring state.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

oferlaor wrote:It’s pretty clear that the focus here is on 97% crash issue.
Actually... it's not.

'JayEm', the OP that actually opened the thread, had a memory access violation after 100% of the restore. Jacob's crash on the other hand was on the 97% part too, but it wasn't the same reason behind the crash as yours.

This thread, as I mentioned previously, has attracted the attention of people from 5 different saved-state issues. Yes, I said 5 (five), because in my "searching through my mailbox", I found yet another ticket, #18331: Restoring 32bit Windows XP VM Saved State Fails (added to the "Known Issues"), which is clearly what you, 'oferlaor', are referring to, but which was not the original focus of the thread...
oferlaor wrote:It happens on any windows xp VM when you save state and try to revert to it.
Not necessarily, please don't generalize because that's taking us in the opposite direction of pinpointing the source. For example, I tried to reproduce it on my OSX host, and I couldn't, no matter how may times I saved-the-state, no matter at which point, no matter what. It never failed. Same with 'mhanor' on a Windows host, and other reporters as well.
The key to finding the circumstances is not to be as generic as it gets, but as specific as possible.
  • Socratis
;)
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I also could not repro an XP Guest crash weeks ago, but have not yet tried the steps that I linked to. Exact repro steps are super important, including all source files.
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

Seeing the same here with XP guest O/S on Windows10 Pro host. The configuration had neither 3D nor 2D acceleration enabled. When I enabled 2D it crashed with VGA display driver. Same problem with Version 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.2) and XP guest system. Reverted back to Virtualbox 5 and the issue went away. Need that ability to do the restoration on multiple virtual machines.
gotenks

Re: Version 6.0.0 Snapshot Bug

Post by gotenks »

Has this error been fixed in recently released 6.0.6 ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

oferlaor

Post by oferlaor »

6.0.6 fixes the issue!
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

oferlaor wrote:6.0.6 fixes the issue!
Confirmed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not all of them unfortunately...

Ticket "#18265: Win7 in VB 6.0.0 fails on resume on 97%" is not. Just right above your posts there's a list of links pointing to what's fixed and what's not...