Version 6.0.0 Snapshot Bug

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Maynne

Re: Version 6.0.0 Final Snapshot Bug

Post by Maynne »

I can verify that this is not isolated under a Windows host.

I'm using a Linux Mint 19 host, with Windows XP Sp3 guest. I received a similar error when trying to restore a newly created snapshot. In the Linux host section of this forum, we are also discussing the incapability of Virtualbox to restore a saved snapshot.

Virtualbox 6.0 is very buggy, it is not ready for production yet IMHO.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Maynne
Just for completion, and as I already replied to the relevant thread in the Linux Hosts section (NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) after upgrading to Version 6), I can't get it to misbehave on my OSX 10.11.6 host, no matter what I throw at it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tutu

Post by tutu »

Also, resizing of the virtualmachine window in the XP machine is 5-10x slower in 6.x. Are you seeing this @Jayem, @Maynne ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

tutu wrote:Also...
Please do not do the "also..." thing, don't mix different issues in one thread. One thread per issue, one issue per thread, the one issue that matches the title... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tutu

Post by tutu »

Thanks for the future response, if youre not a lemming-robot
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Future response? What "future" response???
And last I checked, I had no "moving" or "electronic" parts... :)
hqngl

Post by hqngl »

I have the same problem with a Windows 7 x32 guest on a Windows 7 x64 host. It seems to be related to networking because it only crashes if there is a network adapter assigned to the VM (regardless of whether "Cable Connected" is checked or not).
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

If i discard the snapshot, remove the network-adapter and do a snapshot while running the VM again, i still have the same problem on my WinXP.
Last edited by socratis on 24. Dec 2018, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

hqngl wrote:it only crashes if there is a network adapter
JayEm wrote:remove the network-adapter and do a snapshot
One (hqngl) says that a network adapter is necessary, the other (JayEm) says no network adapters are necessary... :shock:

Can you come up with a reproducible scenario, starting from scratch, with a step-by-step guide? I.e.:
  1. Start with a (OS?) VM on a host running (OS?). With no snapshots. Run the VM.
  2. Login(?).
  3. Update the GAs(?)
  4. Take a snapshot while it's running(?)
  5. Shut down the VM(?)
  6. Remove the NIC adapter(?)
  7. Add a NIC adapter(?)
  8. Take a second snapshot(?)
  9. Restore the first one(?)
  10. Crash.
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

socratis wrote:Can you come up with a reproducible scenario, starting from scratch, with a step-by-step guide? I.e.:
Several tests, it must have to do something with Guest Additions.
  1. Installed a fresh Windows XP with standard-options ins VBox 6.0.0 Final from Scratch, only RAM-Setting was adjusted to 1.216 MB (Standard-option: NAT-Network with Intel Pro/1000 T Server, default option; Host: Windows 10 Professional 1809 with latest december-patches).
  2. After installation, i did a snapshot when desktop of the virtual machine was visible while running. Machine can be restored everytime to this snapshot without problems.
  3. Install Guest Additions of VirtualBox 6.
  4. Restart the machine.
  5. Take a snapshot of the machine at desktop.
  6. Try to restore the machine at the state of this snapshot - crash at 97% restore.
  7. Try to restore the snapshot taken before (without guest additions, see STEP 2) - it works to restore.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. Started with a clone of my trusted WinXP VM. Installed GAs: 5.1.26.
  2. Login, take a live-snapshot (while the VM is running), S-1.
  3. Close the VM window, Power-off/Restore S-1.
  4. Restart the VM. No problem.
  5. Shut down the VM, restart it in SafeMode to install the 6.0.x GAs with the 3D acceleration.
  6. Restart the VM, login, take a live-snapshot, S-2.
  7. Shut down the VM, restore S-2. No problems...
  8. Shut down the VM, restore S-1. No problems...
Do you mind sending me the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file?
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
hqngl

Post by hqngl »

Sorry, I was wrong: it seems the presence of a network adapter is not related to the crash. Mouse integration probably causes it:
  • Start a VM with Guest Additions installed, move mouse into VM at least once, create and restore saved state: crash
  • Start VM with GA, do not move mouse into VM, disable mouse integration, create and restore saved state: crash
  • Start VM with GA, do not move mouse into VM, create and restore saved state: no crash
  • Start VM with GA, do not move mouse into VM, press some keyboard keys inside the VM, create and restore saved state: no crash
  • Start VM without GA, let VM capture mouse, move cursor, release mouse, create and restore saved state: no crash
So restoring a saved state crashes if mouse integration was enabled and you moved the mouse into the VM at least once or if mouse integration was enabled and you disabled it. Crash is reproducible since RC1:
  • VirtualBox-6.0.0_BETA3-127054-Win.exe: no crash
  • VirtualBox-6.0.0_RC1-127378-Win.exe: crash
  • VirtualBox-6.0.0-127566-Win.exe: crash
Assuming that VirtualBox is not installed and .VirtualBox and VirtualBox VMs folders are not present, this is how to reproduce it:
Install VirtualBox-6.0.0_RC1-127378-Win.exe or VirtualBox-6.0.0-127566-Win.exe. Then run these cmd commands to create and install a Windows XP VM (adjust iso and key first):

Code: Select all

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox
set vmname=SavedStateCrashXP
set vdi=%USERPROFILE%\VirtualBox VMs\%vmname%\%vmname%.vdi
set iso=%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\X14-80428.iso
set key=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
VBoxManage createvm --name "%vmname%" --ostype WindowsXP --register
VBoxManage modifyvm "%vmname%" --memory 512 --vram 32 --nic1 none --audio null --audio none
VBoxManage createmedium disk --filename "%vdi%" --size 10240 --format vdi
VBoxManage storagectl "%vmname%" --name IDE --add ide
VBoxManage storageattach "%vmname%" --storagectl IDE --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "%vdi%"
VBoxManage unattended install "%vmname%" --iso="%iso%" --key=%key% --install-additions --start-vm=gui
Once the desktop appears, restart the VM to finish GA installation. After reboot, move the mouse cursor into the VM at least once. Then create a saved state and resume it:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage controlvm "%vmname%" savestate
VBoxManage startvm "%vmname%"
This should result in a crash at 97% when trying to restore the VM.
souvir

Post by souvir »

Same problem. Restoring failed at 97%. Guest winxp sp1 on Host Win7-X64.
I have to go back to V5.2.22 for production use.

For most time, save and restore works well if I have on operation after start.
If I open a notepad, then I save and restore, it will fail at 97% every time.

Hope that the attached log helps.
Attachments
GW5_SYF-2019-01-07-11-00-18.zip
(22.33 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
hqngl

Post by hqngl »

Same problem on a different host (XP VM on Windows 10 1809 host).
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

Same problem in Version 6.0.2