[Solved] Bridged Adapter has no internet access

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jwythe@epicor.com
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, W2K, RHEL3,RHEL6,W7,RHEL7

[Solved] Bridged Adapter has no internet access

Post by jwythe@epicor.com »

Not sure what has changed that no longer allows me to access the internet from my VM's Both or my Windows 7 VM's and my Linux CentOS VM all have the same problem, they can ping the gateway/DNS server on the local network, just as the VM host can, and do DNS lookups, but none of them can access the internet. My old laptop crashed which was running Windows 7 and VBox 5.2.18 I believe. I am now on Windows 10, and VBox 5.2.22. I have updated the GuestAdditions on all VM's, and updated the VBox extension.
All my VM's have an Adapter that is set to Bridged Adapter, plus an Adapter that is set to Host-Only Adapter. These settings are unchanged since it used to work. I can't be sure the last time my VM's had access the to internet, it has been a while since I have needed to do that, and in a place where I could get DHCP IP's on my VM's

I can ping other VM's/devices on the local network, including the VM host, as well as the gateway.

Can anyone help with this? IS there some problem with Windows 10 and/or version 5.2.22, or should I be looking a some setting in Windows 10 that my Admin may have turned on.

John
Last edited by socratis on 16. Dec 2018, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged Adapter as not internet access

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jwythe@epicor.com

Re: Bridged Adapter has no internet access

Thanks, I will give that a try. Not sure if I will be able to install and run the registry cleaner and or device cleaner. With the system being only a few days old, I would not think the registry would be that full of junk. I may not be able to disable the antivirus software.
Is this a blanket fix, or a known solution to a known problem?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jwythe@epicor.com wrote: I may not be able to disable the antivirus software.
I specifically said "Uninstall (don't simply disable)". There is a reason I put it like that...
jwythe@epicor.com wrote:Is this a blanket fix, or a known solution to a known problem?
It's a fix to a known problem called "antivirus". ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jwythe@epicor.com

Ok, on the anti-virus. un-installing may even be harder as that is likely a corporate policy and I probably can't even do that without some ones help, let alone that they wouldn't even allow it. And certainly not on a permanent basis. Are you saying Vbox can't work with an 3rd party Anti-virus installed (at least the Bridged Adapter)?

All that being said. I uninstalled VBox, reinstalled Running as admin, Let it start VBox from the installation, removed the ext pack and re-installed it. now I can access the internet, although one of my Windows 7 VM's still says no internet even though I can access web sites from it. The other W7 VM is giving issues accessing a certain server, which may not be related at all to VBox. Both Linux boxes seem to have internet access, but access to one server is not working and I get different results from each. I have a call into my ISP, and working on getting a call into the people that support the server the W7 is having trouble with.

Thanks for the tip to uninstall and re-install running as Administrator. I think that might have been a solution I did before with VM, but forgot.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jwythe@epicor.com wrote: Are you saying Vbox can't work with an 3rd party Anti-virus installed (at least the Bridged Adapter)?
No, VirtualBox works fine. It's the overzealous antivirus that prevent the installation of a network adapter without explicitely done by an administrator. And not just "being an administator", but "run as administator". Huge difference, see this Microsoft article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 56996.aspx

Glad you got it going, marking as [Solved].