Black screen on both gateway and workstation!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Akiman

Black screen on both gateway and workstation!

Post by Akiman »

Im new to this entirely and I've looked around to see if there were similar posts but there weren't.
Basically I cant seem to run whonix gateway (XFCE) and whonix workstation (XFCE). At first, my problem was that vt-x was not enabled on Bios. I fixed this and sure enough I was able to pass that error message only to have an infinite staredown with a black screen.

I've been hearing of default login credentials which would initialize the virtual os but so far I haven't come across that.
The only thing that happens is I press start on both gateway and workstation, a bunch of commands scroll by (loading I presume) and then nothing. Just a black screen.
I can't navigate anywhere.

Please help, also I'm programming and coding deficient. So if you throw some terms without explaining what it means, I too will turn into a black screen. :(
I just want a virtual os with anonymity.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Black screen on both gateway and workstation!

Post by BillG »

I have no idea what you did wrong, but it works fine for me. It should automatically start.

All you need to do, if your download is not corrupt, is to import the downloaded appliance into VirtualBox. The instructions on the Whonix site are pretty clear, I thought.
Whonix.PNG
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Akiman wrote:and then nothing. Just a black screen.
Typically this might be a sign of low VRAM. The default of 16 MB doesn't seem to cut it anymore, the defaults might need to get updated. Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen » Video Memory. Take that to at least 64 MB.

If that doesn't work, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Akiman

Post by Akiman »

Wow thanks for the info guys. Yeah I thought that the instructions were pretty concise but to no avail. Anyway, I will try the ram configuration and will post a vbox.log in case the first solution doesn't work. Will let you guys know soon.