SDC 5.5.1 Windows 10 64 bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
r365

SDC 5.5.1 Windows 10 64 bit

Post by r365 »

I have virtual box loaded on an SDC 5.5.1 Windows 10 64 bit host. When I attempt to create a new VM Windows 10 64 bit is not an option. I have read and did some troubleshooting. BIOS virtualization setting is enabled. Windows Hyper V is disabled. Any assistance would be appreciated!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: SDC 5.5.1 Windows 10 64 bit

Post by socratis »

What on earth is an "SDC 5.5.1"?
Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
r365

Post by r365 »

SDC = Standard Desktop Configuration. USAF build.
r365

Post by r365 »

I went in and performed the following today:

Code: Select all

Command Prompt:  bdcedit /set hypervisorlaunchty off
It was successful.

Registry: HKLM>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>DeviceGuard>EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity>Enabled
Dword =0

This turns it off.

Windows Defender is turned off by group policy and McAfee.
I repaired the application.
I powered the system off after each change.
So from the BIOS, there appear to only be three settings that need to be set.
Virtualization Technology (VTx)—Enables or disables Intel Virtualization Technology to increase workstation performance. ENABLED

Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT–d2)Enables a virtual machine to gain exclusive control of a hardware device, such as a graphics card. ENABLED

Intel IO Virtualization—Enables or disables Virtualization Technology to increase workstation I/O performance. ENABLED.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

r365 wrote:SDC = Standard Desktop Configuration. USAF build.
And how many people do you believe know that acronym in these forums? 1? 2? If you're using non-standard acronyms, you should be explaining them. Even now that you told me it's a "Standard Desktop Configuration", I still don't have a clue what's on that thing...
r365 wrote:It was successful.
So did you manage to get it going? That's how I read it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
r365

Post by r365 »

the command bdcedit /set hypervisorlaunchty off ran successfully.

I am not trying to confuse anyone... I am just looking for some assistance...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

r365 wrote:the command bdcedit /set hypervisorlaunchty off ran successfully.
But did it fix your original problem, that is the question. Can you now install a 64-bit guest?
r365 wrote:I am not trying to confuse anyone... I am just looking for some assistance...
Oh, I know. But, to tell it to simple... You got to explain the situation a little bit better. We're not sitting in front of your computer, neither do we speak the same lingo necessarily ;)
r365

Post by r365 »

The issue is still not resolved. Windows 10 64 -bit is not an option when attempting to create a VM.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well, you got to go through the list of what might be stealing your VT-x, it's got to be something. If you have VT-x capable computer that is. We'll need a log for that.

Create a new VM. Win10-32 for example. Start it, doesn't have to start, doesn't need to do anything. When you get to the "FATAL: No bootable medium found" screen, close the VM, power it off.

Right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager, Show Log. ZIP the VBox.log (ONLY) and attach it to your reply (see the "Upload Attachment" below the reply form).
r365

Post by r365 »

Please see attached. This is without bootable ISO configured on guest. The only log that was produced was "VBoxHardening"
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

r365 wrote:The only log that was produced was "VBoxHardening"
Are you absolutely sure? Did you get an error dialog? If you didn't get the error dialog, did you see the following?
FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted.
If you saw that screen, you have a VBox.log...

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible.

I would start with McAfee...