Keep my virtualbox VMs in case of disk and OS change

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
abecidofugy

Keep my virtualbox VMs in case of disk and OS change

Post by abecidofugy »

Hi,

I virtualize a Kubuntu and a KDE neon in a Windows 8.1 host. Now, I would like to change SSD for my host and switch to a Windows 10. My virtual machines are on a SATA D: which should not move normally, except perhaps to drive E: \ as I keep it. old SSD in additional disk.

I would like to recover my VM intact.

What to do to proceed, please?

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Keep my virtualbox VMs in case of disk and OS change

Post by socratis »

See the FAQ "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Backing up a VM" or "Copying a VM". For a complete VirtualBox backup, you should also back up the "VirtualBox.xml" file. The location of that file depends on the host, see ch. 10.1. Where VirtualBox stores its files of the User Manual.

Since you're going to do a host re-install, create new users and install VirtualBox anew, you'll have to re-register the VMs from their new location (E:\). See the link above...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.