[Solved] Sharing folder between windows 8.1 and Ubuntu.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nzdreamer55

[Solved] Sharing folder between windows 8.1 and Ubuntu.

Post by nzdreamer55 »

Hello everyone. I have set up VirtualBox on a windows 8.1 machine. I have created a VM with Ubuntu 18.04 on it and have installed the guest additions. I created 2 shared folders and they are under the machine folders. the folder path on the windows machine in D:\Viritualbox. Folder name is called Ubuntudata. I am a little confused as to the next step. I have read over this: HOWTO: Use Shared Folders, but when I try to mount the drive I get permission errors.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Dec 2018, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Sharing folder between windows 8.1 and Ubuntu.

Post by socratis »

The article that you quoted whole (and I replaced with the actual link) is rather old. Nine (9) years old to be exact. Try to select the Automount option in the Shared Folders settings. Then look in your "/media" folder in the guest.

If you can see the "/media/sf_Ubuntudata" but can't browse it due to permission errors, add yourself to the "vboxsf" group in the guest, by running the following:
  • 
    sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf username
and rebooting the guest, or logging off/on again. For more information, look at ch. 4.3.2 Automatic Mounting in the User Manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nzdreamer55

Post by nzdreamer55 »

Thank you so much for the help. Since I am new to the forum, cannot post links for a little bit so that is why I copied and pasted the section. Thank you for replacing it.

You help was perfect. I can now see files that are in the folder from my windows host and if I create a file in the ubuntu guest I can get to it in windows. :-)

Thanks again!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sure thing... Glad I could help. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.