Can't boot VMs (supR3HardenedWin issue)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tomasthanes

Can't boot VMs (supR3HardenedWin issue)

Post by Tomasthanes »

I've been running an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM on Windows 10 for a couple of weeks now. This morning, it had a "Saved" status and didn't want to start. The only thing that I remember from last night is that I forgot to shutdown VirtualBox before shutting Windows down.

I've tried to follow every suggestion in the Hardening FAQ which means I've reinstalled VirtualBox (as admin) with a Win10 reboot in the middle. I'm not able to uninstall Cylance or any other AV software as this is an enterprise laptop provided by work.

This is the error message when trying to start/reinstall the VM:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

The virtual machine 'Ubuntu 18.04 LTS' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\bmohler\VirtualBox VMs\Ubuntu 18.04 LTS\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

I've looked at the VBoxHardening.log file but nothing jumps out telling me "this is the issue".

The zipped log file has been attached to this message.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't boot VMs (supR3HardenedWin issue)

Post by socratis »

437c.423c: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0xc0000005 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 132 ms, CloseEvents);
Yes, you do have a hardening problem. The problem? The programs that you can't uninstall. See if you can get an update, or if you can add an exception for all VirtualBox related files/processes.

Other than that, talk to the antivirus vendors and ask them to clean their act. Point them to the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues so that they'll understand the root of the problem.
437c.423c:     FileDescription: Symantec CMC Firewall SysPlant
437c.423c:     FileDescription: Symantec CMC Firewall sysfer
437c.423c:     FileDescription: Symantec Event Library
437c.423c:     FileDescription: Cylance Protect Driver
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tomasthanes

Post by Tomasthanes »

Someone deep in Desktop Support was able to whitelist the appropriate entries and VirtualBox is happily working away for me now. However, I don't know what they changed or whether that actually fixed the issue. My comfort in the solution is precarious.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Tomasthanes wrote:was able to whitelist the appropriate entries and VirtualBox is happily working away
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
Tomasthanes wrote: However, I don't know what they changed or whether that actually fixed the issue
Does it really make a difference? As long as they know and understand the source of the problem, that's all that matters... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.