Filesystem diskpace full on LInux Host running on VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jj007

Filesystem diskpace full on LInux Host running on VirtualBox

Post by jj007 »

Hi All,
I have a Windows 10 Host running VirtualBox 5.2.20 with Oracle Linux Server 6.7 guest. The filesystems disk space is running at 100%. Please advise how do I resolve this issue.
[oracle@soa-training /]$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_soatraining-lv_root
                       19G  6.0G   12G  35% /
tmpfs                 5.2G  224K  5.2G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1             477M  169M  279M  38% /boot
/dev/sdb1              25G   24G  4.0K 100% /u01
/dev/sdc               32G  347M   30G   2% /oracle
/dev/sr0               56M   56M     0 100% /media/VBox_GAs_5.2.20
How to allocate more space to /dev/sdb1 -- /u01.

Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 12. Dec 2018, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Filesystem diskpace full on LInux Host running on VirtualBox

Post by andyp73 »

The VBoxManage command will allow you to increase the size of the .vdi file. More details can be found in the user manual: Ch 8.23. VBoxManage modifymedium.

You will then need to use a tool such as GParted to increase the size of the partition within Linux to fill the additional space.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jj007 wrote:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1              25G   24G  4.0K 100% /u01
/dev/sdc               32G  347M   30G   2% /oracle
You also have about 30 GB available on /dev/sdc. I don't know the details of your setup/work, but you could potentially move some files from /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdc.

Thinking outside of VirtualBox now...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jj007

Post by jj007 »

I have not set this virtual machine up. This is a Oracle provided developers VM. and the u01 folder has all the software installs so not very confident of moving files around.

Is there any other way, I can tackle this.

In the VirtualBox Manger, I managed to resize the vmdk disk size from 25GB to 35GB.

However, my difficulty is assign that extra space to /dev/sdb1.

Andy- I see few suggest about Gparted,but could not find how to install and use it. I tried the command line tool parted to resize the device. But no luck so far.

Please advise.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jj007 wrote:In the VirtualBox Manger, I managed to resize the vmdk disk size from 25GB to 35GB. However, my difficulty is assign that extra space to /dev/sdb1.
Isn't each VMDK its own /dev/sd*? With the VM shutdown, right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager. Show Log. ZIP the VBox.log (ONLY) and attach it to your reply.

As for Gparted, you don't install it; you boot from it, it's a Live ISO. You just put it to your VM's CD drive and you boot from it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.