[Solved] XP VM Crashes at Login Screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pinkled5

[Solved] XP VM Crashes at Login Screen

Post by pinkled5 »

Loaded up an old XP VM which has worked in the past (albeit running on different computer with different OS and different version of VirtualBox). Now the VM crashes at the XP login screen. Log file seems to indicate a potential CPU issue? The last line of the log says: "emR3Debug: rc=VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR"

Log File: pastebin[.]com/ucpKtwzk
png file attached

The computer it's running on is Windows 10. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
VBox.png
VBox.png (38.83 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Dec 2018, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: XP VM Crashes at Login Screen

Post by andyp73 »

pinkled5 wrote:Log File: pastebin[.]com/ucpKtwzk
Posting log files to third party sites is likely to get them ignored by many people. Much better to zip the log file and attach it to the message.

I took a look anyway and found this:
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:01.627669 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
You need to enable this in the motherboard / PC / laptop BIOS. See your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this. Also, make sure that nothing else has an exclusive hold on the AMD-V/VT-x.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
pinkled5

Post by pinkled5 »

That appears to have worked. Thank you!

BTW, I attempted to attach the log file and it said it was too large. I didn't try zipping it, though. I'll remember that for next time! :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.