Host hangs due to interaction of DeviceGuard with VBox driver

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
klepp0906

Re: Host hangs due to interaction of DeviceGuard with VBox driver

Post by klepp0906 »

bird wrote:Thanks for the dump. The driver verifier takes offence at using NonPagedPool instead of NonPagedPoolNx. This happens like two lines into the DriverEntry function (the first function invoked in the driver when it is loaded).
-bird
pains me to say, but your speaking a different language more or less. Does this help? I also have the dump from after a crash, pre-driververifier dump if that would be beneficial as well.

I asked my buddy which to shoot you guys and he said the driver verifier one, so thats what I did.

very welcome though - ty for your hard work on such an amazing piece of software :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I have to say, you are not the only one having difficulty, even among those of us who write software for a living. :)

Bird, can you say what the conclusions we should draw from the fact you posted? Is the problem real or just a false positive from driver verifier? Was it an error to call NonPagedPoolNx? If so, is a BugTracker ticket necessary?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Wild guess... Device Guard checks every device driver that follows some specific guidelines. One of them is that the driver has to use No-Execute (NX) Nonpaged Pool. The VirtualBox drivers don't, they use the old standard (Win7) Nonpaged Pool one. Device Guard catches that and ... panics? Shouldn't, but it does.

Simple solution (another wild guess) would be to use one of the opt-in mechanisms to switch to NonPagedPoolNx.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
klepp0906

Post by klepp0906 »

Didnt want to make a new post and clutter things up, plus its relevant to this post.

I noticed today ala Dumo that virtualbox host network adapter has a driver update. I tried updating virtualbox and it says im on the newest version.

Anyone know where I can get said driver? Purely in an attempt/hope that it addresses the aforementioned error.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

klepp0906 wrote:plus its relevant to this post.
Nah... not really...
klepp0906 wrote:ala Dumo
What does that mean?
klepp0906 wrote:that virtualbox host network adapter has a driver update
Who told you that? I'm not sure your host can check for updates on the Host-Only adapter.
klepp0906 wrote:it says im on the newest version
The newest flag isn't set immediately on the self-update mechanism. Check manually in http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
klepp0906

Post by klepp0906 »

socratis wrote:
klepp0906 wrote:plus its relevant to this post.
Nah... not really...
it is, since the driver was what was causing verifier to crash.......
socratis wrote:
klepp0906 wrote:ala Dumo
What does that mean?
kc software's Dumo (driver update monitor somethingsomething)
socratis wrote:
klepp0906 wrote:that virtualbox host network adapter has a driver update
Who told you that? I'm not sure your host can check for updates on the Host-Only adapter.
see above
socratis wrote:
klepp0906 wrote:it says im on the newest version
The newest flag isn't set immediately on the self-update mechanism. Check manually in http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
I do have the flag set, and just got the newest version update today and newest extension update, alas still tells me i have 5.2.24.0 and the newest driver is 6.0.0.0
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jan 2019, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm going to lock this topic, since we seem to be getting an influx of people who have not registered that VirtualBox v6.x does not have the same feature set as 5.2.x - which was the subject of discussion when this topic was opened in December.

To summarize: VirtualBox v6.0.0 has a new feature which may allow it to co-exist with Hyper-v if certain Windows 10 features also exist (Win10 build >=1809, Hyper-v present and enabled, plus "Hypervisor Platform" option enabled). If you have an older version of VirtualBox or Win10 or if you want to be absolutely sure that VirtualBox v6.0.x will run then you need to disable Hyper-v and all related features such as DeviceGuard.