VM terminates with exit code 1 (0x1) - maybe adversar / anti-malware

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Markm

VM terminates with exit code 1 (0x1) - maybe adversar / anti-malware

Post by Markm »

Am trying to copy my smoothly operating WinXP(32Bit)VM from 7Pro 64 bit host to a new computer running 64 bit Win10Home, so trying to stick w/ existing VBox version 5.1.10 r112026 (Qt5.6.2) with matching Guest Additions. W10 Host system has 16G RAM, WinXPVM has 2048 MB RAM w/ 60 MB video w/ 2 screens allowed. I'm attaching a txt ver. of a log file showing the problem pre-existed installation of Symantec's Norton 360. I'm afraid I don't have the log in *.log format.

The virtual machine is called 'Mark'sWindowsXPOS' & VBox says it has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\mulli\VirtualBox VMs\Mark'sWindowsXPOS\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)

I’ve already tried restarting;
I removed all the McAfee sofware;
I disabled as much Windows security stuff as I thought I could & it didn’t help.
I installed Norton 360 (I just don't really want to leave the system vulnerable for long), tried a VB VM & it didn’t work. Disabled all the N360 security & restarted, that didn’t work.
Re-enabled N360 & restarted system, VBVM not work. Though actually, I think my disabling of N360 may have been for 4 hours, so it might still be disabled.
I read a number of posts, but concluded with this one :
Re: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues
by mpack » 2017 0315 06:40
Other things to try:
• Disable your real-time antivirus, at least temporarily, to test whether this is conflicting with VirtualBox. On Windows 10 hosts the Windows Defender AV is designed by people who know how to write low level code for Windows without fighting it or breaking it. It does not conflict with VirtualBox. You would perhaps be wise to stick to that.
• Expanding on the previous point, some antivirus don't provide an effective "disable" function. To be absolutely sure it won't interfere you have to uninstall it completely and perform a full reboot of your host PC.
• Make sure Hyper-v is disabled. Modern VirtualBox VMs usually can't run if Hyper-v is hogging the hardware resources required for virtualization. This may present itself first as a hardening error, so it's worth checking.
• Power down your VM (not suspended state) and restart.
• Fully power down and then restart your host. Sometimes this shakes something loose.
• Fully uninstall and then reinstall VirtualBox using "Run as administrator" to run the installer. Sometimes this replaces a corrupted DLL that was causing a problem, or changes the order that Windows calls on device drivers.
[END OF "Re: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" POST]
I have Win10 Home, so I think Hyper-v is not an issue (web says Hyper-v is not in Win10Home);

I do seem to have “adversaries” entries in the "VBoxHardening" log & found “Anti-Malware Core.” entries, but don’t know what to do about the former & can’t seem to find & remove the latter. I don’t find that Windows 10 Home is running any “Anti-Malware” stuff right now; maybe because I turned off Win10 stuff. I'm quite sure I saw some appearances of the word "Symantec" in a log once, but don't find it in the current log. Maybe it's gone because I disabled Norton 360 as one of my efforts. Actually, I've verified Norton 360 Advanced Security Settings are back on & I made a copy of the log as "2018 1205 175159 - VBoxHardening.txt" & will attach it.

I can't find settings in Symantec's Norton 360 to make an exception (temporary or permanent) for VBox specifically - either on this W10 or my other W7Pro system, but turning off all the security I could didn't seem to help. I think I tried the VM w/o any Windows 10 & w/o any McAffee running (before installing Norton 360), but I didn't preserve a VBox log each time, just saw that the error msg appeared identical each time.
Attachments
2018 1204 103317 Error log - VBoxHardening.txt
Symantec (re: Norton 360) had not yet been installed or security systems have been disabled for this log. I inserted a time stamp into the file name. Wasn't sure if you prefer *.txt or not. So far, I'm using Office Libre on this system and save files in txt or in *.doc (Word 97(ver 8.0) format (I am running XP on VM 'cause I'm a non-computer science moderately high level Office 97 Pro user & have never left it).
(101.35 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
2018 1205 175159 - VBoxHardening.txt
Symantec (re: Norton 360) shows up;
(104.7 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
VBoxHardening.log
I can't tell the true creation time. It looks like 11/4/2018, but I'm quite sure it is 12/4/2018 or something close. "Symantec" appears here & I think I just installed it today, so clearly this is a log after the 2004 log (in txt format) above.
(104.68 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by socratis on 6. Dec 2018, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. Jn 6.68
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VM terminates with exit code 1 (0x1) - maybe adversar / anti-malware

Post by socratis »

Markm wrote:new computer running 64 bit Win10Home, so trying to stick w/ existing VBox version 5.1.10 r112026
Don't stick with 5.1.10, instead download the latest 5.2.22. Several hardening errors may actually be coming from Win10 itself and the latest versions address that. So, always use the latest VirtualBox.
Markm wrote:I installed Norton 360 (I just don't really want to leave the system vulnerable for long)
Windows 10 has a perfectly capable built-in antivirus protection, there is absolutely no need whatsoever to install any 3rd party antivirus.
Markm wrote:I do seem to have “adversaries” entries in the "VBoxHardening" log & found “Anti-Malware Core.” entries, but don’t know what to do about the former & can’t seem to find & remove the latter.
You can't get rid of Anti-Malware? You got to find a way. It seems to trigger something in the log. Start removing everything and anything. If it's a new computer, re-install Win10 and don't install any 3rd party system-modifying software.

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Markm

Re: VM terminates with exit code 1 (0x1) - maybe adversar / anti-malware

Post by Markm »

Thank you very much. I'll start with the udpate to 5.2.22 with the matching guest additions & go from there.

As of 2018 1206 1422 further software migration efforts seem to be going well, and I have not needed to go beyond instaling the 5.2.22 version. I've also included the matching Guest Additions, even though it seemed to work well without them. I have a number of other things to install, but the scariest I had worked well, so I'm optimistic.

So far, I have not needed to implement the last two steps (re-activating Win10 anti-virus &/or removing Norton 360 and addressing the “adversaries” & “Anti-Malware Core" entries in the VBoxHardening.log).

So, thank you again, Socratis!
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. Jn 6.68