failed to open a session for virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tomdenny

failed to open a session for virtual machine

Post by tomdenny »

I was using windows 10, the virtual box worked perfectly how it used to be, latter due to some issue i booted my laptop and installed windows 7 SP1
i installed the virtual box and loaded the iso image, and tried to start the machine but i am encountered with this error

The virtual machine 'win7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Dell\VirtualBox VMs\win7\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

I tried a lot to solve this problem, finally i decided to do dual boot and ran ubuntu where the virtual box ran successfully.

Now i want to know why this error occur. And how to solve this. Can any one help me out.

error log attached
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: failed to open a session for virtual machine

Post by andyp73 »

Log file opened: 5.2.12r122591
5.2.12 is now a few versions old (5.2.22 is current as of writing) so you may want to upgrade.
1194.bb4: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x24
1194.bb4:     FileDescription: Avast HWID
1194.bb4:     FileDescription: Avast File System Minifilter for Windows 2003/Vista
1194.bb4:     FileDescription: Avast WFP Redirect Driver
1194.bb4:     FileDescription: Avast Virtualization Driver
I'd start by uninstalling Avast or at the very least making sure there are exceptions in place to get it to leave all of the VirtualBox executables alone.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
tomdenny

Post by tomdenny »

Yes sir, I uninstalled avast and installed the latest Virtual Machine, And restarted my computer, Again the error continues for me.
error log.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(9.21 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Apparantly you also had McAfee installed. Having duelling AV packages rarely leads to good news IMHO. If I was you I would purge the lot, check the hardening log to show that the "supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: xxx" line show 0 adversaries, and then I'd consider installing Windows Security essentials for Win7 (Windows Defender).
tomdenny

Post by tomdenny »

It seems something wrong with my OS, the windows defender is also unable to start.
And i am struct at the same level, cant find the bug. :(
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Set Windows Defender aside for now - that's a discussion for a Windows support site anyway.

Did you manage to get the number of adversaries to zero in the log? Did VirtualBox then start?
tomdenny

Post by tomdenny »

How to do that, please can you guide me...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Uninstall your AV, that's all. Reboot the host and launch a VM. If it runs then you're done. Otherwise if you then check the hardening log you can find the "adversaries" line I mentioned earlier. If it doesn't say 0 (or 0x00) then you still have something left to uninstall.

LONG term you need to consider installing better AV, and just one suite not multiple. I would recommend Windows Defender, since it's written by Microsoft, who know how to write low level software for Windows without screwing other things up or having an inordinate performance impact. Seriously, there was a time when third party AV made sense because MS didn't take security seriously, but IMHO that time ended at least 10 years ago.
tomdenny

Post by tomdenny »

Yes sir, I have uninstalled the AV and rebooted.

supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x20

it shows 0x20 and as usual its not starting the virtual machine.

I don't have any multiple AV installed sir.

can you help me with teamviewer...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Adversaries = 0x20 is the same as you already posted, meaning you have not uninstalled anything since then. Do not forget to reboot the host as a simple uninstall doesn't necessarily kill all processes already running.

If adversaries shows non zero value N then it is followed by N records from DLLs belonging to software you need to uninstall. There is no need to report back until you have adversaries down to zero and it's still not booting.
umybuddy

Post by umybuddy »

I'm not sure if I can post this in someone else's problem thread however I am having the same issue.

My VirtualBox Version is 5.2.22 so the newest one. I also tried with an older version and still no luck.
Whenever I try to boot up a VM I get the following error.

The virtual machine 'Parrot' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\root\VirtualBox VMs\Parrot\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

I tried reinstalling VBox, I have disabled every windows built in antivirus or firewall(I don't have a third party one). I'm not sure what could be causing the issue. This happens no matter what VM Iso I try to use. I also checked the logs similar to the person above and I don't seem to be getting an adversary issue. Ill attach the log file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
Vbox Log
(11.85 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

One issue per topic, so start your own topic please, after reading the FAQ: FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.