VirtualBox Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel LowLatency

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
arkkimede

VirtualBox Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel LowLatency

Post by arkkimede »

Hi!
How the subject report, I'm working on a Windows 10 pc where is installed Virtual Box Version 5.2 and I've installed on it Ubuntu 18.04; the pc has 4 cores and 8 logical processors.
For my elaborations, the virtual machine needs to have all the processors possible (4).

So in "settings" I selec 4 processors.

After installed UBUNTU 18.04. I configure also Ubuntu to have a kernel low Latency. But after closing the virtual machine, If I try to re-enter, the login procedure stops.
(Using a single processor the login end with success).

Could you help me to understand if it is possible to use VB with Ubuntu18.04 + Kernel Low Latency?

Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel LowLatency

Post by mpack »

arkkimede wrote: For my elaborations, the virtual machine needs to have all the processors possible (4).
That would be a terrible idea. The host OS (which includes VirtualBox itself) can't run on fumes. VirtualBox is a type 2 hypervisor, it needs to run on a host OS. If you can't afford the CPU power to run two operating systems at once then perhaps you should consider a second physical PC instead of a VM: or just run the task on the host.

If you want to run a VM then, on your host, assign no more than two cores to the VM.
arkkimede

Post by arkkimede »

OK for use only 2 Processors!
But related to the low latency?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

arkkimede wrote:But related to the low latency
VirtualBox is running the guest OS as an application under the host operating system (more or less). It will have to fight for resources along with any other applications you are running on the host. There can be no guarantees on latencies (other than they will be longer than running the same task on physical hardware).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

But certainly if you want to minimize latency then don't starve the host kernel of CPU.