I give up with this hardening stuff

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Fred Bloggs

I give up with this hardening stuff

Post by Fred Bloggs »

I am going to try VMware instead. Maybe it will at least work without stupid errors.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: I give up with this hardening stuff

Post by mpack »

Maybe. Who can know.

This is a VirtualBox user forum btw. None of us has any stake in whether you use the software or not. In my experience "stupid hardening problems" are generally caused by the snake oil masquerading as "antivirus" that people unnecessarily install on their PCs, rather than by VirtualBox, which merely detects the problem.
Fred Bloggs

Post by Fred Bloggs »

I am using the same OS and the same antivirus as always except now I cannot define a new Virtualbox to use the same guest OS that I have used before. I tried an old version of Virtualbox and still get completely incomprehensible 'hardening' errors. BTW I have been using Virtualbox for many many years before with no problems.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Fred Bloggs wrote:I am using the same OS and the same antivirus as always
Both of these will periodically be subject to updates which will a) change their own behaviour, and b) change the behaviour of the system enough to upset other applications including VirtualBox.

If you have been through all the guidance on Tutorial: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues you could always post a hardening log file to see if anyone else can help understand the cause!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Fred Bloggs

Post by Fred Bloggs »

I tried Virtualbox on another W7 installation on a 'test' disk and it worked fine.

I went back to the first disk and uninstalled AVG and that didn't make a difference. I uninstalled Office 2016 and a few other things.

Eventually I formatted the disk and reinstalled Windows 7 (and everything else). Now Virtualbox works ok. But I don't really know why it wouldn't work. I also reduced my overclock to see if that would help.

ps I tried VM and didn't like it. I can now use my old vmdk files for an XP guest which have lots of stuff on them including a working and used copy of MySql and lots of other stuff which I didn't want to lose.

The reason I used Virtualbox in the first place was that I have some software that works on XP but not on later operating systems.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Fred Bloggs wrote:I uninstalled Office 2016 and a few other things.
It wouldn't be Office 2016. If VirtualBox conflicted with Office then every VirtualBox Windows user would have the same problem. No, all of these wounds have to be self inflicted: people installing obscure AV (that's no longer required on Win10 anyway), that sort of thing. The kind of people who think that if taking one pill cures my disease then taking 10 pills must super cure me.