VBoxManage modifymedium --resize does not work and doesn't give ANY output

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rokyo

VBoxManage modifymedium --resize does not work and doesn't give ANY output

Post by rokyo »

Hi mates!

I ran into a problem when trying to resize a .VDI image of one of my VMs:

I shut down the VM, opened the Windows 10 cmd (once as admin, once as regular user, this problem occured in both), navigated to my VM's folder and ran:

Code: Select all

C:\path\to\vbox\installation\VBoxManage modifymedium NameOfDisk.vdi --resize 100000
to resize my 50GB .VDI file to 100GB.

The computer takes approx. 5 seconds doing SOMETHING then goes back to the command prompt WITHOUT showing this progress bar (0%....100%) that I see in every guide that explains the resize option. I do not get the percentage thing and the .VDI is not resized afterwards.

Any ideas what is happening here? :shock:

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

EDIT: VirtualBox is version 5.2.22 on Windows 10 Build 1803
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBoxManage modifymedium --resize does not work and doesn't give ANY output

Post by mpack »

Why did you obfuscate the path in your example command? Or are you saying that's literally what you typed?
rokyo wrote: and the .VDI is not resized afterwards.
Did VBoxManage run? (use Task Manager to check). If not then your problem is with Windows. If it ran, how did you verify that the VDI was not resized?
Guest OSses: ubuntu windows10 ( 32 & 64) windows 7 android

Post by 7787 »

mpack wrote:Why did you obfuscate the path in your example command? Or are you saying that's literally what you typed?
rokyo wrote: and the .VDI is not resized afterwards.
Did VBoxManage run? (use Task Manager to check). If not then your problem is with Windows. If it ran, how did you verify that the VDI was not resized?

hello. running windows 8 on a window 10 machine. diffrent issue, not sure why it will not resize, can you help?

H:\Program Files\vb>vboxmanage modifymedium "H:\7nr\7ns\7ns.vdi" --resize 120000
0%...
Progress state: VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to resize medium
VBoxManage.exe: error: Resizing to new size 125829120000 is not yet supported for medium 'H:\7nr\7ns\7ns.vdi'
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED (0x80bb0009), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "enum RTEXITCODE __cdecl handleModifyMedium(struct HandlerArg *)" at line 768 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm sure you can find your answer in the FAQ: How to resize a Virtual Drive.
nikhil123

Post by nikhil123 »

I am also facing the same issue, Can anyone help me with that please?

Code: Select all

Nikhils-MacBook-Pro:MacOS nikhil$ VBoxManage modifyhd --resize 10000 /Users/nikhil/VirtualBox\ VMs/Nikhil\ Windows\ 10/Nikhil\ Windows\ 10.vdi
0%...
Progress state: VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED
VBoxManage: error: Failed to resize medium
VBoxManage: error: Shrinking is not yet supported for medium '/Users/nikhil/VirtualBox VMs/Nikhil Windows 10/Nikhil Windows 10.vdi'
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED (0x80bb0009), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleModifyMedium(HandlerArg *)" at line 768 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
Nikhils-MacBook-Pro:MacOS nikhil$ 
Last edited by mpack on 18. Sep 2020, 10:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote, put code brackets around output.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I would have thought that the message "shrinking is not supported" makes the problem quite clear. You are trying to change the drive capacity to 10GB, and it is already larger than that.

I notice that you have been cross posting this question, and that this is a habit for you. Cross posting is against the forum rules, so please stop doing it.