Cannot power up any VMs (Potential Hardening Issue)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jkaye0103

Cannot power up any VMs (Potential Hardening Issue)

Post by jkaye0103 »

Hi,

I am having an immense amount of trouble figuring out what's wrong with my machine.

Background:

I am trying to run the SAS University Edition VM through VirtualBox on my machine. My machine is a Lenovo T450. I have tried multiple ways to debug the issue, but to no avail. I have scoured the forums with similar issues, verified that Hyper-V is off (it was never on), changed the BIOS settings to enable VT-d, re-installed it multiple times using "Run as administrator" and normal methods. I have booted it up multiple times using "Run as administrator" and normal methods.

The error:

(rc=-5640)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what:1
VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONE (-5640) - Process Verification Failure: The process has more than one thread.

I have attached the hardening log, and have fiddled around with the settings multiple times to figure out where the issue could be, but to no avail. I have checked out my company's AV logs with the Security team, and they haven't shown any conflicting issues. I have installed multiple versions of VirtualBox (4.3-5.2.22), and the same issue keeps happening.

Does anybody have any guidance into this?

J
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(10.98 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot power up any VMs (Potential Hardening Issue)

Post by mpack »

See the third post of the hardening FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.
jkaye0103

Post by jkaye0103 »

Hey mpack,

I have checked that out multiple times, but there doesn't seem to be any programs interfering with VirtualBox.

Any other things I could check out?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jkaye0103 wrote: I have checked that out multiple times, but there doesn't seem to be any programs interfering with VirtualBox.
VirtualBox isn't imagining a second execution thread, so there is definitely a program interfering with (snooping on) VirtualBox. The FAQ suggests what to look for, but ultimately it's for you to know what software is installed on your PC.