VirtualBox Guest Additions for Version 5.2.22

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rgleason

VirtualBox Guest Additions for Version 5.2.22

Post by rgleason »

VirtualBox Version 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2) with Windows 10Pro 1803

It would be very useful to have this working. I have a message saying VirtualBox Guest Additions is missing. I click to install under Devices and nothing happens.
I have search for an ISO to download but find nothing. The few links I have found for Guest additions do not go anywhere. There was a link to the direct downloads that said Guest Additions would be located there, alas there were no files for Guest Additions for Windows 10.

It would be very helpful if someone explained what is going on!
And why Guest Additions does not install and cannot be found.

I need it for the shared folder and cut and paste clipboard.
Thank you.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VirtualBox Guest Additions for Version 5.2.22

Post by andyp73 »

Your description isn't entirely clear but do we assume that you are running both a Windows host and a Windows guest?

If your installation of VirtualBox 5.2.22 was successful then the Guest Additions .iso file would have been installed as part of that and so shouldn't need downloading separately. To insert the .iso into the virtual optical drive, go to Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD Image...

If your guest doesn't autorun the GA installer then you will need to navigate to the drive in the guest and run it manually.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
rgleason

Post by rgleason »

Yes Andy Win10pro host of VirtualBox, with VM Win10pro.
I am a bit confused because under settings > Storage
SATA port 0 Win10+.vdi
SATA port 1 VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
--Don't I need Windows.iso? (but it still runs ok)

What happened to the Windows.iso which I had before? Also with another simpler VM I still have
SATA port 0 Win10+.vdi
SATA port 1 Windows.iso

Thanks for your help.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Why would you want to leave the Windows.iso assigned to the optical drive? It is only needed to install the OS. It can then be removed (just as you would remove the Windows installer disk from the DVD drive after you installed to OS on a physical machine).

I would not leave the GA ISO assigned either once the installer has run. It has done its job.
Bill
rgleason

Post by rgleason »

Thank you Bill,
I will remove the optical drive for windows.iso that did have me confused.
Guestadditions does not seem to be working, received several messages, and the prompt does not install either.
I think I installed it, but left the guestadditions.iso going.
Perhaps I should uninstall it and pick from lower left corner to shutdown the software, then restart and try install again?

Runtime attributes
Screen Resolution 1152x864x32 @0,0
VM Uptime 0d 00:12:55
Clipboard Mode Bidirectional Drag and Drop Mode
Bidirectional VT-x/AMD-V
Active Nested Paging
Active Unrestricted Execution
Active Paravirtualization Interface

Hyper-V Guest Additions Not Detected
Guest OS Type Windows 10 (64-bit)
Remote Desktop Server Port Not Available
rgleason

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox Guest Additions for Version 5.2.22

Post by rgleason »

Bill, that was helpful.
There was a small upgrade to VirtualBox and it appears that GuestAdditions does not get updated with that execution. I had to remove guestadditions.iso and then force another installation of guestadditions, and then the screen got bigger and copy and paste between host and guest works.

Thank you.