Windows Host Hangs requiring a hard shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rgleason

Windows Host Hangs requiring a hard shutdown

Post by rgleason »

I have recently installed VirtualBox version 5.2.20 r125813 (Qt5.6.2) with extensions, onto Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803 host, with two Windows10 x64 VM inside VirtualBox.
After installing the Windows10 host started hanging with no apparent pattern.
I've checked all drivers and updated some, checked memory, cleaned up the machine registry etc.

Is there anyone who has any information about this issue? I may have to reluctantly remove VBox as my computer is unreliable now.

The computer frequently hangs up with no mouse or keyboard control. So I have to hard shutdown resulting in many of these events.

Code: Select all

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          11/8/2018 6:44:24 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2)
User:          SYSTEM
Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
ERRORS

Code: Select all

Source:        VBoxNetLwf
Event ID:      12
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
Description: The driver detected an internal driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.
--------
Source:        VBoxNetLwf
Date:          11/8/2018 6:44:35 PM
Event ID:      12
Task Category: None
User:          N/A
Description: The driver detected an internal driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.

-------
Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
Date:          11/8/2018 9:26:55 AM
Event ID:      3
Task Category: Session
Keywords:      Session
Description: Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188
--------
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date:          11/8/2018 6:53:09 PM
Event ID:      10016
Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{Deleted}
 and APPID 
{Deleted}
 to the user [deleted] from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
--------
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date:          11/8/2018 6:44:38 PM
Event ID:      11
Level:         Warning
Description: Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. 
--------
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Time-Service
Date:          11/8/2018 6:44:36 PM
Event ID:      134
Level:         Warning
User:          LOCAL SERVICE
Description: NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time.nist.gov,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)
--------
Source:        Service Control Manager
Event ID:      7000
User:          N/A
Description: The aksdf service failed to start due to the following error: 
This driver has been blocked from loading
--------
Source:        Application Popup
Event ID:      875
Description: The description for Event ID 875 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event: 
aksdf.sys

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

-------
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          11/7/2018 5:37:16 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Description: Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0xf5178e97
Faulting module name: nvumdshimx.dll, version: 21.21.13.6909, time stamp: 0x579f36b5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000051979
Faulting process id: 0x3fac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d476ea6f57796f
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmwu.inf_amd64_26aa6356770b2e86\nvumdshimx.dll
Report Id: 603ffb23-a285-4956-9b3a-9b1c559c7acb

============
the driver detected an internal driver error on device vboxnet lwf

File_VBoxNetLwf.sys blue screen errors can be caused by a variety of hardware, firmware, driver, or software issues. These could be related to either VirtualBox 5.0.14 for Windows software or Oracle hardware, but it is not necessarily the case.

More specifically, these file_VBoxNetLwf.sys errors can be caused by:

Incorrectly configured, old, or corrupted VirtualBox 5.0.14 for Windows device drivers. (very common)
    Corruption in Windows registry from a recent file_VBoxNetLwf.sys-related software change (install or uninstall).
    Virus or malware infection that has corrupted the file_VBoxNetLwf.sys file or related VirtualBox 5.0.14 for Windows program files.
    Hardware conflict after installing new Oracle hardware, or hardware related to file_VBoxNetLwf.sys.
    Damaged or removed system files after you’ve installed software or drivers related to VirtualBox 5.0.14 for Windows.
    file_VBoxNetLwf.sys blue screen caused by a damaged hard disk.
    file_VBoxNetLwf.sys STOP error due to memory (RAM) corruption.
Last edited by socratis on 9. Nov 2018, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][code] tags for better readability
rgleason

Re: Windows Host Hangs requiring a hard shutdown

Post by rgleason »

Have reinstalled host windows 10 1803 under my programs and data, done sfc /scannow and checked the installation and it is ok. Then I noticed that task manager is running with about 2.3gb of memory and the fan is on a lot. I think the heat from the fan is heating up my Logitech unified mouse USB receiver and then the mouse just fails bringing down my synaptic pad and keyboard control as well for some reason. Then I have had to press the start button until the program stops (hard stop) creating an Event ID 41.

I have removed the mouse from the system and it seems stable but needs more testing. Then I installed mouse usb unified receiver in the other usb port on the back where it is not as close to the fan output. It seems better.

I have also removed a lot of programs and further cleaned up the machine, leaving virtualbox as installed for the time being. The Event ID Error 12 VBoxNelLwf The driver detected an internal driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf still occurs however.

Now my goals are:
1. Reduce the work the machine is doing, the memory use, and bring the operation of the fan and heat output down.
2. Reduce VirtualBox to minimum usage of computer resources when not being used.
3. Remove VirtualBox Extensions because I probably don't need them at this time.
4. Reduce the size of the iso files for the Virtual Machine instances because I did the wrong thing and made them too big (155gb)
5. Refamiliarize myself with VirtualBox and start using it more.

------
Regarding Error ID 12 I found this suggestion on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87971&start=15#p430880
mhanor wrote:
You can choose to manually uninstall the VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver or unselect it at VirtualBox installation. I suspect your system problems will continue even without this VirtualBox driver.
mhanor
Volunteer
rgleason

Re: Windows Host Hangs requiring a hard shutdown

Post by rgleason »

I installed VirtualBox without uninstalling or disabling Norton 360.

I noticed in this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90214&p=432996&hili ... ns#p432993

Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.