Virtual Box - Launch Error Kali VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
seansmc

Virtual Box - Launch Error Kali VM

Post by seansmc »

Hi,

I have been using the Kali VM to complete a college project and suddenly today it will no longer launch. I attached a screenshot of the error. I'm hoping there maybe an easy fix for this :? Any help be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
vmerror.PNG
vmerror.PNG (39.07 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Lean_geek

Re: Virtual Box - Launch Error Kali VM

Post by Lean_geek »

Is this vmdk a vmware vmdk? Whatever may be, you can use vmware-vdiskmanager( https://sourceforge.net/projects/vmdkut ... e/download ) to fix it. Probably your virtual hdd has been corrupted. Dic anything wrong happened last time you used it?
Use:

Code: Select all

vmware-vdiskmanager -R <your-vmdk>
Btw if not resolved, post detailed log.
Last edited by Lean_geek on 8. Nov 2018, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It's usually easier, more convenient, smaller size, searchable and quotable, if you use that "Copy" button in the error dialog, and simply paste the error text, instead of posting the image... ;)

You seem to have a broken VMDK. Do you have a backup? If no, try to search for "repair VMDK". Not sure if mpack's CloneVDI can repair VMDKs or not...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
seansmc

Post by seansmc »

Thanks very much for the replies :)

Due to a college deadline I hit the panic button and deleted the VMS and started from scratch. However, I saved the info from this thread for future reference and I really appreciate the help.