switching network adapter disables port 80

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
r144

switching network adapter disables port 80

Post by r144 »

I have an issue that possibly is not related to virtualbox. I hope you can direct me in the right direction.

I have a desktop which is running linux and a laptop which runs window10. On the laptop I have created a linux virtualbox with a bridged adapter. In the virtualbox I can access my linux desktop via ssh and the browser.

The laptop has two adapters: one for the cabled network and one for wifi. Removing the cable causes windows to automatically switch to the wifi network.
I wanted to be able to use wireless in the virtualbox too.
I have partly made this working by
  • adding in the settings of the virtual machine a bridged adapter that is associated with the wireless card (eth1)
  • in the linux vb adding a definition of eth1 in /etc/networking/interfaces
  • disabling the wired network with 'ifdown eth0'
  • removing the cable so that the windows hosts switches to wireless
  • enabling the wireless adapter with 'ifup eth1'
This work up to some level, but there is an issue with port 80:
After switching eth1, I can ping to my linux host and even ssh to it, but the virtual machine fails to open connections on port 80. I cannot access the web pages that are hosted by the linux machine and wget fails: the command generates a timeout.
When I switch back to using eth0, I can access the linux machine again on port 80.

Has this something to do with virtualbox settings or is there something that needs to be done within the virtual linux machine itself?

I hope you can guide me in getting this to work....

thanks in advance, Ruud
r144

Re: switching network adapter disables port 80

Post by r144 »

I found out the problem has nothing to do with either virtualbox or the virtual machine: it was an ordinairy firewall setting that blocked that port for the wireless adapter.

Thanks anyway for taking time to read this post.