Video performance of Windows guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Windows98SE
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Video performance of Windows guests

Post by Windows98SE »

Hi!
I'm using Windows (x64) guests on a Windows (x64) Host. I think the overall performance of the vm is good (i compared it to Vmware and Hyper-V). There is no noticeable difference. I use the VM to display videos. But I think the "FPS" are not that high. Is there any chance to get it as smoth as the native Windows performance? I guess the vm produces somehow 20 FPS in video replay. So there is a noticeable stuttering.

My machine:
- Threadripper 2950
- 128 GB Ram
- Samsung SSD 970
- Geforce RTX 2080 TI

My VM's settings are:
- 8 GB Ram
- 8 Cores
- Virtualization: pre-configured
- AMD-V activated
- nested pagin activated
- Guest additions installed (inkl. restart)
- 256 MB Video Memory
- 3D and 22 enhancement activated

Thanks in advance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Video performance of Windows guests

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Windows98SE
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Post by Windows98SE »

Thank you for your help!
Attachments
Arbeit-2018-11-08-07-44-41.7z
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your configuration/log looks just fine, except maybe that you're on 5.2.18 and 5.2.20 is already out. That's a nice 16-CPU, 127.8 (weird) GB RAM setup there... 8)

Your expectations on the other hand, not so much:
Windows98SE wrote:Is there any chance to get it as smoth as the native Windows performance?
Ummm... not really. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. The virtual GPU itself is from around 1995-2000 in terms of capabilities. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.

You only option is to pretty much wait for improved graphics support. I have no clue when this will happen, or if it will happen at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.