Wifi adpater goes off when Virtual box starts???

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jeroenV1982

Wifi adpater goes off when Virtual box starts???

Post by jeroenV1982 »

Hi all,
When I start my Virtual Machine (kali 2018.4) my Alfa AWUS036ACH stops working? It`s working great in Windows and it shows a blue LED. The moment the VM starts the LED turns off.

P.S. I did set USB to USB3.0 and selected my adapter. My Vbox version is 5.2.20 r 125813 (Qt5.6.2).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Wifi adpater goes off when Virtual box starts???

Post by socratis »

jeroenV1982 wrote:I did set USB to USB3.0 and selected my adapter.
What does that mean? That you created a USB filter for your adapter? Then that's expected behavior. USB devices cannot be shared. Just like you can't plug in your adapter in two computers at the same time.

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jeroenV1982

Post by jeroenV1982 »

Yes I read the link. I`m using a filter which causes the adapter to power off. When I remove the filter the blue LED stays on but kali shows no wifi. When I go to the top VM bar and select USB/Realtek, the LED turns off.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL473/1 ... 045278.jpg

I Also checked my USB ID`s:
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL473/1 ... 045281.jpg

What am I missing?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jeroenV1982 wrote:What am I missing?
I already told you, but let me highlight it once more:
socratis wrote:Then that's expected behavior. USB devices cannot be shared.
Which means that only your host, or only your guest will use it. Not both. If you use a filter and you capture the USB device in your guest, it get lost from your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jeroenV1982

Post by jeroenV1982 »

I get your point but as you can see I already use a filter:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL473/1 ... 045278.jpg
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

As socratis said, think of them as two separate (physical) computers one running Windows and one running Kali Linux.

When you power up your Windows host, it loads the device drivers for the USB Wi-Fi adapter and happily uses it to connect to the network. When you start up the Kali Linux guest with the USB filter, it is as though you unplugged the USB Wi-Fi adapter from the Windows machine and plugged it into the Linux one. For it to work, Linux now needs to load the correct drivers for it (which it may or may not do by default) and Linux needs to be told how to join your Wi-Fi network.

If you run "lsusb" on the Linux guest and it lists the Wi-Fi adapter then VirtualBox has done its job and you need to think of it as an OS configuration issue.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.