Virtual machines not opening-hardening issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
stevepj

Virtual machines not opening-hardening issue

Post by stevepj »

Hi. I am hoping you can help me to resolve a problem which is preventing my virtual machines from starting. Every time i try to start a machine i get a hardening error message and the machine refuses to start. I have uninstalled virtual box and reinstalled as administrator as suggested elsewhere in the forum. I can then use virtual box normally and my machines will open. However, after shutting down my host machine, the next time I try to open a virtual machine, the same thing happens and they refuse to open and error messages return. I am using VB5.2.20. I have attached a zip file containing the relevant hardening logs. any help you can give would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards Stevepj.
Attachments
VM box hardening logs.zip
(99.76 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtual machines not opening-hardening issue

Post by andyp73 »

There is a whole self-help thread Tutorial: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues that gives you an indication as to what to look for on your system that might interfere with VirtualBox. Your log file lists the following potential suspects...

A whole bunch of Malwarebytes products
Panda anti-virus and nano network security

You might want to start by uninstalling them or adding the VirtualBox executable files as exceptions so they leave them alone.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
stevepj

Re: Virtual machines not opening-hardening issue

Post by stevepj »

Hi.
Thanks for your reply. I finally found the time to play around with VB again. I have tried the suggestions made and nothing seems to work. I did get it to work by uninstalling virtual box and reinstalling as administrator. It would then work until I shut my computer down. however the next time I started it up and tried to use VB again it failed to load again. This I did several times with the same result. In desperation I have now tried deleting all the existing virtual machines. Uninstalled VB and reinstalled the latest version 5.2.22. That allowed me to create a new virtual machine but when I try to open it to install an operating system it just crashes and displays the errors in the attached screen shots and log. I really can't understand why it should just suddenly stop working after being ok for at least the last 2-3 years. can anyone please help with any further suggestions as this is driving me crazy.
Thanks for reading.
stevepj.
Attachments
Hardening log & screen prints.zip
(110.49 KiB) Downloaded 14 times