Stonith Fencing setup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
newbie69

Stonith Fencing setup

Post by newbie69 »

Rephrased as requested

Question:

How to setup STONITH for these 2 VMs?

Environment:

Host is Windows 10
2 VMs with SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 installed as guest OS.

Floating/Virtual IP is 172.168.10.13 for the 2 VM servers on the intranet
I can use 172.168.10.13:7630 to access HAWK interface.

node1
Intranet IP: 172.168.10.11
corosync/Pacemaker IP: 172.168.38.11

node2
Intranet IP: 172.168.10.12
corosync/Pacemaker IP: 172.168.38.12

I have DRBD setup on both servers, where pacemaker does the resource fencing (correct term I hope)
Last edited by newbie69 on 26. Oct 2018, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Stonith Fencing setup

Post by socratis »

I would suggest that you rephrase your question/problem/issue in terms of VirtualBox. You wouldn't call Acer/Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo and ask them that question, would you?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
newbie69

Post by newbie69 »

OK. rephrase and hope someone can enlighten me
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I had to look up STONITH (nice acronym BTW; Shoot The Other Node In The Head) and I think that "HAWK interface" refers to the "High Availability Web Konsole interface", but I'm not sure.

Again, the question is asked in terms of software, and really specific software to be exact. If you were to make your question in terms of hardware, then we'd be better off. We don't really care about the top level issues, VirtualBox is closer to the hardware, being a hardware emulator and all.
newbie69 wrote:Floating/Virtual IP is 172.168.10.13 for the 2 VM servers on the intranet
What does "Floating IP" mean? I don't think I've seen this characterization before. And why 2 servers are having the same IP?
corosync/Pacemaker IP: 172.168.38.11
Same question as above, most VirtualBox users won't have a clue what "corosync/Pacemaker" is, at least I don't, and a quick search shows no references in the VirtualBox forums.

PS. Please don't edit your previous messages to replace them as a whole, only to fix minor mistakes and typos. Otherwise the responses/replies lose their context.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I had to look up DRBD as well as the others. At least I now know what he is talking about.

I can't think of any VirtualBox settings that would be relevant, apart from the network config.
Bill
leo.lagos

Post by leo.lagos »

Not sure VirtualBox provides ANY kind of "cluster-aware" functionality that could be used..

but did you try SBD (fence_sbd)?

Regards,
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

leo.lagos wrote:Not sure VirtualBox provides ANY kind of "cluster-aware" functionality that could be used..
No, VirtualBox doesn't provide a "cluster-aware" functionality.