VBoxNetNAT or VBoxNetDHCP fails to start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nonovo
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

VBoxNetNAT or VBoxNetDHCP fails to start

Post by nonovo »

Hi guys, anyone can help why on Windows 10 when booting up VM (configured to use NATNetwroks) one or both Windows services are missing (VBoxNetNAT / VBoxNetDHCP). This prevents correct networking and 'm unable to login using Putty to the VM.

The strange thing, I does boot up eventually after a few VM shutdowns / boots

Once I can see both services up and holding, the connection works as expected. Is this a bug Windows issue or ... PBKAC

Note:
  • Port forwarding etc. is configured as expected.
  • Host: Windows 10
  • Guest: RedHat 64bit
Thx a lot,
N.
Host: Windows 10 and/or macOS high Sierra, Guests: mostly Linux 64bit
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxNetNAT or VBoxNetDHCP fails to start

Post by socratis »

nonovo wrote:one or both Windows services are missing (VBoxNetNAT / VBoxNetDHCP)
Missing? As in "not there" or as in "not started"? If it's the latter, you should check your Event Viewer. Also, if you have any 3rd party antivirus, firewalls, protection, redirection software that you might have installed. You're using one of the most popular hosts and this is not widely (it at all) reported, so there must be something in your setup that's causing this...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nonovo
Guest OSses: Linux

Re: VBoxNetNAT or VBoxNetDHCP fails to start

Post by nonovo »

Sorry to not to be clear, as "a missing" I mean not starting.
In fact it does start for a second then it dies either DHCP or NAT or both.

However, without any changes to host system just do the boot (sometime it takes a few retries) retry it will boot up and the services are holding (as not dying) and 'm able to connect.
Re antivirus, this is a company notebook, and does have the std. McAfee, other than that I am not aware of any FW or redirect.
Also, need to mention, the same setup works just fine on macOS and was earlier working well on Win 7. The only current host OS Win 10 seems to having this issue.

I have also checked the Windows event logs, seems there is no mention of this service at all.
Thank you for reply.
N.
Host: Windows 10 and/or macOS high Sierra, Guests: mostly Linux 64bit