Allow "upperfilters" and have USB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CNLohr

Allow "upperfilters" and have USB

Post by CNLohr »

As of now, it seems that any applications that require the UpperFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} will prevent VirtualBox from attaching any USB devices.

After some google searching the list of conflicting software is much longer than I expected, with things such as (the most common) USBPcap, NoMachine, and the Dell Data Protection Agent, but it seems that some folks even have issues with things like Roxio and other bizarre conflicts.

Normally, the recommendation is to uninstall the conflicting software, or disable it by removing the UpperFilters. But this is an awful long-term solution, and in my case for the last year an unworkable solution, requiring physically different computers to do certain things.

There are a number of tickets addressing this, but no forward progress.. Tickets #10309, #16032 and #11251.

There's even a mailing list patch that could fix this, but it seems there is no progress on getting it into trunk. Why? What can be done to expedite the resolution to this issue? Is there anything I can do to help?

P.S. Can't post URLs :(
Last edited by socratis on 20. Oct 2018, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Allow "upperfilters" and have USB

Post by socratis »

CNLohr wrote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control
Pet peeve of mine. The "ControlSet001" is not what's currently used by the system, it's the previous run, a backup. Changing that will have no effect on your system as is... ;)
CNLohr wrote:any applications that require the UpperFilters
Why do applications require that? I don't get it...
CNLohr wrote:by removing the UpperFilters
As far as I know, no application has stopped working properly if this key gets deleted, maybe I'm wrong, haven't tested them all...
CNLohr wrote:There's even a mailing list patch that could fix this, but it seems there is no progress on getting it into trunk. Why?
There are plenty of patches that don't actually make it to the trunk. Most usual culprit is not enough time/manpower to test the patch and its implications on other software or the system.
CNLohr wrote:What can be done to expedite the resolution to this issue? Is there anything I can do to help?
Pray if you're religious? ;)
Joking aside, asking in the mailing list why this hasn't been applied might be the best course of action. Or in IRC, at the [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#macports]#vbox-dev channel[/url].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CNLohr

Post by CNLohr »

socratis wrote:
CNLohr wrote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control
Pet peeve of mine. The "ControlSet001" is not what's currently used by the system, it's the previous run, a backup. Changing that will have no effect on your system as is... ;)
I did not know that! I just spent 30 minutes fooling around with that. I am surprised that by editing the values even in ControlSet001, you can still break USB on the computer... Alas, even removing the key from CurrentControlSet, still gets re-added.
socratis wrote:
CNLohr wrote:any applications that require the UpperFilters
Why do applications require that? I don't get it...
CNLohr wrote:by removing the UpperFilters
As far as I know, no application has stopped working properly if this key gets deleted, maybe I'm wrong, haven't tested them all...
I believe it is because applications need to hook USB devices in such a way that is only available to upperfilters. I understand why Dell DPE, USBPCap and NoMachine, etc. (Ok, well I don't understand Roxio) want to do this, and I don't see any way around this, for those applications. Which ones have you tested? I am really curious to collaborate here as maybe there is another way around this! That would be super rad.

I spent about 1 hour fooling around with adding VBoxDrv, VBoxUSB and VBoxUSBMon to the UpperFilters list, to no avail. Adding the things in different orders, etc. Still the same error - That the device is busy with a previous request, please try again later.
socratis wrote:
CNLohr wrote:There's even a mailing list patch that could fix this, but it seems there is no progress on getting it into trunk. Why?
There are plenty of patches that don't actually make it to the trunk. Most usual culprit is not enough time/manpower to test the patch and its implications on other software or the system.
CNLohr wrote:What can be done to expedite the resolution to this issue? Is there anything I can do to help?
Pray if you're religious? ;)
Joking aside, asking in the mailing list why this hasn't been applied might be the best course of action. Or in IRC, at the [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#macports]#vbox-dev channel[/url].
Gotcha. Thanks. I will be looking into this.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CNLohr wrote:Still the same error - That the device is busy with a previous request, please try again later.
Whoa!!! That's not an issue with the UpperFilters! There are plenty of reasons for that, mainly that the device is indeed in use by your host!

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CNLohr

Post by CNLohr »

I'm uuhh pretty sure it is... That error only happens after you attempt to connect to it once. After the first time attempting to connect, nothing happens. Try again, you get that error. Also, afaik it's exactly the same issue everyone else is having wrt competing installed software?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CNLohr wrote:afaik it's exactly the same issue everyone else is having wrt competing installed software?
What competing software would that be? Can you be more specific? I'm not familiar with something competing, bare the ones that are mentioned in the FAQ, and if there are, I'd like to know about them.
CNLohr

Post by CNLohr »

You can add Dell DPE to

"This error can also mean that another filter is installed on your host and is actively monitoring/filtering your USB connections. Such filters can be installed with either antivirus programs, Microsoft's RemoteFX USB Redirection, No Machine, or Wireshark and its USBPcap component. Or any other application with a USB filtering mechanism."
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Done.