RDP connection working, locally not working.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BeC

RDP connection working, locally not working.

Post by BeC »

Little bit of background story.

Our customer(school) is using Virtualbox in a windows host(HPE ProLiant 350 Gen9) and custom made linux(ubuntu) image to host exams for students. That linux image is made by "The Matriculation Examination Board" in our country and our school download and create's the vm using vagrant, when they are taking those exams in a very closed enviroment(no phones, no wireless etc).

So the problem we are encountering.

In virtualbox we start up the guest os(linux), wait it to boot up, custom made webpage interface opens up, then we need to upload those exam questions (exampletest-2018.meb) to the guest from a shared folder, insert password to extract them to the system and thats it. This works when we are using RDP connetion to the host machine but when we are sitting in front of the machine and do the same thing locally, the extraction fails.

I've tried every setting in virtualbox for the machine and still it fails. So i don't know what is the culprit in here, vm? host machine? whats the difference in using the host machine over rdp connection than locally. I'm out of ideas.

PS: Sorry for my grammar, english is not my native language.

-Bec
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: RDP connection working, locally not working.

Post by socratis »

BeC wrote:and create's the vm using vagrant
Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, mainly the host/guest networking. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Vagrant support channels.

If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete Vagrant uninstall), then we can continue this discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BeC

Post by BeC »

Well i uninstalled vagrant completely and the problem still exist. The problem seems to effect only file's over 100mb.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BeC wrote:The problem seems to effect only file's over 100mb.
I'm not sure what that means in the context of the problem...
Do you have a series of step-by-step instructions that we could follow to replicate the issue?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BeC

Post by BeC »

The Matriculation Examination Board makes those exam test questions and they use somekind of compression to them (file extension is .meb). So if the exam question package is over 100mb in filesize, then the extraction/upload to the exam enviroment(running over nginx and is made with javascript) fails, if it's under that 100mb it passes. This extraction/upload failure happens only when i'm trying this locally, over RDP-connection everything works like a charm.

So back to the root question, what is happening differently on the quest host when using the host machine over RDP-connection.

I'm sorry i can't provide any step-by-step, cause all these files are made by our government's education system, or those ICT-tech dude's working for them, and i'm not sure if i broke some laws providing them. I just provide tech-support for the school owning this server.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Oct 2018, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BeC wrote:what is happening differently on the quest host when using the host machine over RDP-connection.
Nothing that I can think of. In VirtualBox at least...