Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
modestsimplicity

Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.

Post by modestsimplicity »

Hello,

I was trying to run Debian on Windows 10 and got this error. At first I got a black screen because I forgot to enable SVM but now I encountered this. I would appreciate your help!
Attached VBox.log.

Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.zip
(25.07 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by modestsimplicity on 17. Oct 2018, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.

Post by socratis »

At 22 bytes, I don't think this is a valid ZIP file. Please edit your message and update the ZIP file, something's not right with the current one. And then please notify us.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.

Post by socratis »

I don't see an error in the logs, all I see is a request to power-down the VM after 9' of operation. Where exactly do you see that error?
00:09:42.206572 GUI: Request for close-action to power VM off.
00:09:42.206590 GUI: Passing request to power VM off from machine-logic to UI session.
00:09:42.206594 GUI: Powering VM down on UI session power off request...
00:09:42.206773 Console: Machine state changed to 'Stopping'
00:09:42.206908 Console::powerDown(): A request to power off the VM has been issued (mMachineState=Stopping, InUninit=0)
00:09:42.206921 Display::handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=0000000009e20000 w=640 h=480 bpp=32 cbLine=0xA00 flags=0x1
00:09:42.206936 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::NotifyChange: Screen=0, Origin=0x0, Size=640x480, Sending to async-handler
00:09:42.207129 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDED' to 'POWERING_OFF'
BTW, this is a log from when the VM resumes from a saved state:
00:00:03.244618 Changing the VM state from 'LOADING' to 'SUSPENDED'
00:00:03.244662 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDED' to 'RESUMING'
00:00:03.245085 Changing the VM state from 'RESUMING' to 'RUNNING'
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
modestsimplicity

I ran it again. I hope this is correct this time. Thanks once more.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(23.44 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Still no VM error logged.

I hope you understand the distinction between a VM error and a guest OS error. Did this VM ever boot on your host? If yes then what changed?
modestsimplicity

I see. It did boot. I got the error after selection Debian, got a "failed to access perfctr msr", it loaded some more then the error occured.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.353899 File system of 'C:\Users\yyhua\VirtualBox VMs\KS_Praktikum\KS_Praktikum-disk001.vmdk' is ntfs
Where did you get this VM from?
00:00:01.449979   VRamSize         <integer> = 0x0000000000c00000 (12 582 912, 12 MB)
You should max the VRAM for your guest.
modestsimplicity

It is from a college course of mine. Ram size increase did not help unfortunately. I will ask my professor.
The weird thing is that it did run on my Macbook.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

modestsimplicity wrote:The weird thing is that it did run on my Macbook.
It might not be that weird actually. Your MBP has an Intel processor. This one,runs on an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. Slight variations and/or optimization installation on the guest side might actually responsible for what you're seeing...