AVG antivirus and virtualization

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ovbusr

AVG antivirus and virtualization

Post by Ovbusr »

Windows 10 host.
I had a major problem - My old VBox stopped working, would not load various Linux/Ubuntu virtual machines.
I deleted and reinstalled latest version of VBox (5.2.18) and latest extensions.
No luck, it only showed 32bit versions allowed in the drop down list.
Although showing 32bit allowed, it would not load 32bit versions of various Linux builds (e.g. Mint).
Read help, saw Youtube videos about virtualization (virtualisation) in the BIOS, but this was already enabled.
Then checked my AVG antivirus settings. ( I use AVG FREE, so I guess it applies to all versions)
I needed to allow nested virtualization (in the settings, troubleshooting menu).
(See the pic attached)
Joy, 64 bit now available and will install Ubuntu etc.
I have read this also applies to Avast, have not checked this.

Hope this helps others.
Attachments
avgvirtualization.JPG
avgvirtualization.JPG (44.28 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: AVG antivirus and virtualization

Post by socratis »

Ovbusr wrote:Windows 10 host. ... I use AVG FREE
Why? Win10 has a perfectly fine, well behaving, built-in antivirus. There's no need to load another "scareware pest" (sorry, but that's how *I* feel about them).
Ovbusr wrote:I needed to allow nested virtualization (in the settings, troubleshooting menu).
That's a new one I guess! So far we knew that certain antivirus (AVG included) only included an option that allowed Hyper-V to get enabled on the host, so that they could use the what AVG calls "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization". That would definitely kill all 64-bit or multi-CPU options from VirtualBox, because Hyper-V would take over the availability of VT-x, and wouldn't give it back.

But this is new! I don't know what it does/doesn't do, but it's definitely worth an in-depth investigation! Thanks for letting everyone know about this!

What AVG version is that?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ovbusr

Re: AVG antivirus and virtualization

Post by Ovbusr »

AVG Free latest version 18.7.3069
I might get rid of it now after your comments :)