is symbolic link failure cmake related issue?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bsmile

is symbolic link failure cmake related issue?

Post by bsmile »

I try to compile nlopt package on a linux mint 18.2 virtualbox installed in a Windows 7 host. nlopt makes use of cmake for its build/compilation. After step cmake, I was told to run make, it then returns the following error messages,
CMake Error: cmake_symlink_library: System Error: Read-only file system
CMake Error: cmake_symlink_library: System Error: Read-only file system
CMakeFiles/nlopt.dir/build.make:1264: recipe for target 'libnlopt.so.0.9.0'
failed
make[2]: *** [libnlopt.so.0.9.0] Error 1
make[2]: *** Deleting file 'libnlopt.so.0.9.0'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:67: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/nlopt.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/nlopt.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:160: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
Is this a cmake related issue? Since virtualbox cannot set up symbolic link within a windows host, is there way to deal with this failure? I am totally new to cmake (but am trying to study it now) and cannot track into it. Any advice, especially step by step guide would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by socratis on 15. Oct 2018, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: is symbolic link failure cmake related issue?

Post by socratis »

bsmile wrote:Since virtualbox cannot set up symbolic link within a windows host, is there way to deal with this failure?
Not really... Unless you use true network shares between host and guests, and even that I'm not sure if it's going to work in an SMB share.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bsmile

Post by bsmile »

socratis wrote:
bsmile wrote:Since virtualbox cannot set up symbolic link within a windows host, is there way to deal with this failure?
Not really... Unless you use true network shares between host and guests, and even that I'm not sure if it's going to work in an SMB share.
Maybe I should be more careful about this. It does seem to me though virtualbox does not readily accept linux type definition of soft link (ln -s a b) which is used in scripts generated/used by cmake. Please let me know how to do this if this is possible within a windows 7 host. Thanks,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Personally, I wouldn't have the slightest idea. Maybe someone else does. Otherwise, I'd advice you to look in the cmake related forums...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bsmile

Post by bsmile »

It could be I should use sudo to manually install the package. Now linux mint provides the software in its software repository and I just take advantage of the convenience to deal with it.