Install Program on Windows 10 in Virtual Box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tonny91

Install Program on Windows 10 in Virtual Box

Post by Tonny91 »

I have a machine running Linux Mint 17. On this machine, I have an activated version of Windows 10 running in Oracle VM VirtualBox.

I would like to install a program from a CD on Windows 10 that is running in VirtualBox. When running the setup.exe, a popup appears:
This app can't run on your PC
To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.
Unfortunately, the vendor has not been helpful - stating only that "there have been no reported issues with installing the program on Windows 10".

I have tried running the setup.exe with administrator privileges and in all combinations of compatibility mode to no avail.

The installation CD has the following files:
Manual (folder)
Setup (folder)
Autorun (Setup information file)
CBase13 (Icon file)
Setup (Application file)
If I run the setup_x64 Windows Installer Package file inside the Setup directory, the following error appears:

This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
Is there anything more I can try to do to get this program to work on Windows 10 inside a virtual machine?
Last edited by socratis on 13. Oct 2018, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install Program on Windows 10 in Virtual Box

Post by socratis »

1. This has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox.
  2. This seems like an error when you're trying to install the program for the wrong architecture. You mentioned that you're trying to run the "setup_x64" program. That sounds like the 64-bit version of the program. Is your Windows 10 the 64-bit or the 32-bit version? It sounds like you installed the 32-bit Win10 version, that's why you're getting that error message.

To find out which version of Win10 you installed, right-click on "My Computer" » "Properties". Or, you can go from the "Control Panel" » "System and Security" » "System". Under "System" » "System Type" you can see whether you have the 32- or the 64-bit installed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.