Bypass Host Security

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lkg01

Bypass Host Security

Post by lkg01 »

hi - I have restricted access on my host Windows OS to download and install freeware / open source and learn. However, I have a virtual box installed and a Ubuntu OS as guest that I can use. What sort of networking option should I enable to bypass something like Umbrella that restricts my visit to any of the blogging sites and open source sites.

Any request I submit for opening the site takes about a week's time in my organization. They are in agreement to retrospectively block access to the site if they find it violates any policy. Any help is appreciated.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Bypass Host Security

Post by BillG »

None. All traffic from the vm must pass through the company's network and routers, and that will be where the security filters will be.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You could have the guest use a USB WiFi dongle to talk to a phone hotspot. Or similar USB dongle idea.

I hope you aren't using this to skive while at work. If I was your boss that would be a sacking offence.
lkg01

Post by lkg01 »

@BillG - I have this issue on home network too.

@mpack: I find this issue on home network too. I am evaluating some softwares that need installation and evaluation. It is part of the work assigned to me. The host OS does not allow installations and so I was given a VM and a guest OS to try it. The process to get a security exception is long, takes a week. They did agree that I could install and they would run their security tests in parallel. If they find a vulnerability, I will not be able to deploy the software for further use. I still cannot download or navigate to certain sites (including blogging sites) as it is blocked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Who's blocking it? What's blocking you at home? You need to be clearer about the setup. With generic descriptions, we can't make heads or tails, we can't figure out what's going on, we can't advice you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lkg01

Post by lkg01 »

Cisco Umbrella is blocking access to some websites. What other information is required? Please let me know and I shall provide.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And you have Cisco Umbrella at your home? Or you mean you take the laptop from work at home? Because if that's what you mean, there's absolutely no point in bringing the @home configuration, it's your laptop's configuration that's problematic.

If you switch from the default NAT to Bridged, you won't have that problem. But mind you that Bridged-over-WiFi might or might not work, it depends. If you can do Bridged-over-ethernet (a wired connection) that would definitely work.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lkg01

Post by lkg01 »

Yes, using work laptop at home. It does not seem to work with wi-fi. I shall try with the physical connection.

Thank you for the help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, home or no-home, it's irrelevant. As far as the connection, remember that Bridged-over-WiFi don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience.

If you have a Bridged-over-ethernet (wired) option, try that...