3D Acceleration breaks "Save State"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Karl_Bridggie

3D Acceleration breaks "Save State"

Post by Karl_Bridggie »

Hi guys,

I use Dell XPS 15 9570, running Windows 10. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on VirtualBox.

My issue is, I cannot check the "Enable 3D Acceleration" option. If I do, every time when I Close->Save State, an error comes up and I cannot save the current Ubuntu state.
vb_error.png
vb_error.png (22.16 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Any idea?

Thanks very much!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3D Acceleration breaks "Save State"

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Karl_Bridggie

Post by Karl_Bridggie »

Thank you for your response socratis!

After the Save State failed, the machine became "Aborted" and I was not able to power it off. So I turned it back on and then power it off.

Cheers,
Karl
Attachments
VBox.zip
(34.36 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.413218 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll:
        rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
        \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.
        inf_amd64_786f30519164c09a\nvdlistx.dll: fKeyUsage=0x0, missing 0x1:
        \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.
        inf_amd64_786f30519164c09a\nvdlistx.dll
This is what I was "hoping" to find. This shows that you have a hardening problem. The Nvidia drivers are being rejected. Read the "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" to understand why.

Your best course of action would be to upgrade/downgrade your Nvidia drivers, to something that's properly signed, as their "forgetting to sign their drivers" is becoming more and more of an issue.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Karl_Bridggie

Post by Karl_Bridggie »

Thanks very much for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Does this mean that it was somehow "Resolved"? If so, could you spare the details? Did you update the Nvidia drivers (to what version? how, online or offline?), or you disabled the 3D acceleration for your VM?
Karl_Bridggie

Post by Karl_Bridggie »

socratis wrote:Does this mean that it was somehow "Resolved"? If so, could you spare the details? Did you update the Nvidia drivers (to what version? how, online or offline?), or you disabled the 3D acceleration for your VM?
Yes, it can be "Resolved". Updating the display driver didn't work for me. As long as I keep the 3D Acceleration disabled, there's no problem.

Thanks!
Karl
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Karl_Bridggie wrote:Yes, it can be "Resolved".
Not really. At best it's a workaround with no satisfactory results. I think I'm going to leave it as is, until a true solution is found.

I would download the standalone drivers and re-install them. Or delete the video driver from the Device Manager and let Windows rediscover the card. Hopefully the re-installation of the drivers might fix something...