Controler Floppy > Add Floppy > VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Kanito73

Controler Floppy > Add Floppy > VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Post by Kanito73 »

Hello friends

I'm trying to mount a floppy image to install DOS on a virtual machine like this:

Settings > Storage > Controller Floppy > Add Floppy drive > [disk.img]

but all the time returns an error

Could not get the storage format of the medium 'D:\Digital Research DR-DOS 7.03 (3.5)\Installation & Utilities 1.img' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

I tried to rename the directory to DRDOS and the file to disk1.img but does not work anyway...

What can I do? I have a laptop... No floppy and no diskettes...

Maybe it is due to the format of the file, in that case, anybody can tell me of a *-DOS image disks that work on VirtualBox and that it is available for free?

I want a native DOS, the programs I want to test do not run under command prompt window...

Thanks for any help :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Controler Floppy > Add Floppy > VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Post by socratis »

Kanito73 wrote:Maybe it is due to the format of the file
That would be correct. Something is not right with the image that you have. I don't know where you got it from, and I don't think I want to know...
Kanito73 wrote:anybody can tell me of a *-DOS image disks that work on VirtualBox and that it is available for free?
There's FreeDOS that you can try. It won't even need a floppy image to boot from, although it's an option if you still want to! ;)

Note the "Problems with VirtualBox?" side-note...

PS. Thanks for bringing up the question. I was "forced" to revisit the FreeDOS website, and I noticed the VirtualBox side-note. I managed to fix my FreeDOS 1.2 not booting!
\o/
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kanito73

Re: Controler Floppy > Add Floppy > VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Post by Kanito73 »

Thanks for your comments! I will search FreeDOS...