Exporting a VM does not work with all virtual disks

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hronny

Exporting a VM does not work with all virtual disks

Post by hronny »

If a SCSI hard disk controller is created and it contains hard disks, they will not be exported. With SAS controllers the export works fine, but my virtual machine doesn't work here.

Regards, Ronny
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Exporting a VM does not work with all virtual disks

Post by socratis »

hronny wrote:If a SCSI hard disk controller is created and it contains hard disks, they will not be exported.
I can't reproduce it. Can you give some more details? Start with the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
hronny wrote:With SAS controllers the export works fine, but my virtual machine doesn't work here.
That's another problem. Let's solve the export first (it's in the title after all) and then you can open a new thread with the SAS problem...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hronny

Post by hronny »

I uploaded both versions and just tried export again, with the same result. So I uploaded both VBOX files. The export only works with the SAS Controller. The list of the export with the SCSI controller is attached as a screenshot. Here you can see that there is only one hard disk instead of four. The virtual hard disks are located on different physical drives. Is that a problem?
Attachments
2018-10-11 10_01_20-ova-list.png
2018-10-11 10_01_20-ova-list.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 739 times
VM-vbox-sas.zip
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
VM-vbox-scsi.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You have a mix of SATA and SCSI/SAS controllers. I'm not sure if multiple controllers are supported in the OVA specification, you got to look it up.

I did a test with SCSI only, and another with SAS only, and it worked just fine, both of them. So, try to remove the SATA controllers from your configuration and try again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.