High CPU on 2 Windows guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bertie

Re: High CPU on 2 Windows guests

Post by bertie »

Not pushing, but curious if you've had a chance to discover anything yet? I do miss having VirtualBox and hoping to get it back working again. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid not. First, I had to download the (*#%) thing 3 times due to corruption. And then there were lots of things going on, including new releases and new development releases, so no, not yet. I do have the VM now working (finally), I'll try to analyze it tonight...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You logs look just fine. Absolutely innocent.

Try one thing, will you? Change the network card from "NAT" to "Host-Only", "Internal" or "Not Attached". See if that changes the situation. I have a feeling that what you're seeing is the Win81 trying to update itself. If you cut the "oxygen" from the updates (no network), you might suppress the CPU "fire". Give it a shot and let me know.

Oh, BTW, 5.2.20 is out, you might want to update...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bertie

Post by bertie »

Updated to 5.2.20; changed adapter to Host-Only . . . no change.

Thinking this is not so much the guest or it's configuration; maybe the host or it's configuration? Anything we can look at there?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

bertie wrote:maybe the host or it's configuration? Anything we can look at there?
That's where everything seems to point to. Because I have a 3-ple booting Win PC (Win7-32, Win7-64 and Win10-64) and I haven't seen something similar. I honestly don't know what else to look for if you already completely uninstalled all your antivirus...
bertie

Post by bertie »

Thank you.
So, what options do I have? Switch away from VB? Submit a bug report? Anything else?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Reinstall Windows?
What good is a bug report if it's your setup that's wrong and can't be reproduced, which means can't be "fixed"?
bertie

Post by bertie »

The Host is actually a fresh install of Windows 10 build 1803, and the hardware didn't change (other than adding another SSD - after the problem started.)

What, if anything, could i look at for the VB setup/configuration on the host?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

bertie wrote:What, if anything, could i look at for the VB setup/configuration on the host?
I don't know what else to look for, I told you twice already that everything looks fine from the VirtualBox point of view...

Remove that SSD? Try to revert your configuration? Reinstall Win10 with the new SSD included? Your apps and data can be preserved...
bertie

Post by bertie »

Thank you
bertie

Post by bertie »

Sorry - related question. I saw the below post in bug reports; how can I find out if this was ever reviewed/resolved in the forums? I've tried but unable to find any posts by the author (rhukdev); at least that or I'm not searching correctly.
Would be great to find out how/if this was resolved.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17157
bertie

Post by bertie »

And looking at bug #12851 . . . looks similar, but I'm not sure how to read/interpret if there is/might be a fix for this. Looks like some people are experiencing this recently as well.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12851

Does this seem to match what I'm seeing - little CPU on the Host, while 100% on the guest?
bertie

Post by bertie »

For ticket #17157 - I tried looking for a post in the forum by that author, but could not find any. Am I searching incorrectly, or did he never follow up with a visit to the forum?

For ticket #12851, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly. It appears that the symptoms match my issue, but I can't tell if this is being worked, has been worked, has been fixed, or is likely to never be worked on. It looks more like it's just lingering at very low priority - is that correct?

Thank you.