USB device connection issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Keihilin

USB device connection issue

Post by Keihilin »

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and I will try to provide all the information needed ;o)

I used to work with Virtualbox to run an XP image, on a Win7 or Win10 Host machine without issue until few days.
On our latest company Win10 image (version 1709 Build 16299.665) I'm having a difficulties to get an USB device connected on the Guest XP.

The device is a USB/SERIAL cable.

The Virtualbox version is : 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.6.2), but the issue happen also on older version like 5.2.6 ..

When I plug the device on a USB port, the Host Win10 detect it, and mount it correctly (display the COM port in the device manager).
Then, on Virtualbox menu "Devices" I open the sub-menu "USB" and click on the item (FTDI USB Serial Converter [0600].
I heard the Windows sound coming from the Host, when we disconnect a device.
But on the Guest, the device is not connected. (and the item in the Devices menu, do not show the tick as usual, when mounted)

The device do not appears in the Device Manager of the Guest.

If I click again on the Item in the Device menu, I get an error : "Failed to attach the USB device FTDI USB Serial Converter [0600]to the virtual machine XP_Service_V1".
Details :
USB device 'FTDI USB Serial Converter' UUID {...} is busy with a previous request, Please try later.
Result code : E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Callee: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

on the VirtualBox, I also installed the Extension and the Guest Additions CD.

To my understanding, when I ask VirtualBox to transfert the control of the USB device, from the Host to the Guest, it's disconnecting the device from the Host, but the Guest see it still connected so Busy...

Could you please help me ?
I'm adding the log in attachment.
Attachments
XP_Service_V1-2018-10-05-13-14-03.log
Log
(79.06 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB device connection issue

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Keihilin

Post by Keihilin »

Hello,

Thank you Socratis, I review the list of info, and the issue is described but the different solutions do not work.
So, You will find in attachment the ZIP with the LOG from the different Windows CMD command + the VirtualBox VBox.log

Hope you will find something to help me ;o)
Thank you,

Edit : For info, I tried to plug other USB Device, such as USB Stick, none are mounted correctly on the Guest... All are seen as BUSY.
Attachments
Log.zip
VBox.log + Windows info
(24.34 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Keihilin wrote:I review the list of info, and the issue is described but the different solutions do not work.
No, you didn't, not carefully at least.
  1. You only have USB 1 enabled in the settings, and your FTDI device is a USB 2.
  2. You did not setup a filter for your device.
  3. You did not insert the device after your VM was completely started.
So, please, reread carefully the FAQ and follow the instructions... Especially the part that talks about Busy devices and Filters. I don't like repeating things that are already in the FAQ.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Keihilin

Post by Keihilin »

Ok,

1) That can be the issue, where to enable "all" the USB port ? that must be new, because I never had the issue before.
2) I did, not captured on the log, because not requested during the test. But I tried the Filter, that didn't helped.
3) I plugged the USB "after" the the VM started, but the device item remain present in the list of USB device even not plugged.

if helping is upsetting you, you could do something else.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Keihilin wrote:if helping is upsetting you, you could do something else.
You're right, I might help someone else. Because it's not the "helping" part that might upset me. And that wasn't even close to being upset BTW...