No INET addrss (eth0) in NatNetwork mode.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
alexleence

No INET addrss (eth0) in NatNetwork mode.

Post by alexleence »

Hello,
I am following an online course where I have to set up Kali Linux and OWASP broken apps in NetNetwork mode so that I can access owasp via its address (from the other machine). However, ifconfig returns no INET address (like 192.168.xx.x), for neither of them and thus I cannot access one machine from the other. Same happens when I run the two in Host-only mode. When I run normal NAT mode I get the usual 10.0.2.x but since the two machines are assigned the same address, I cannot access one from the other (thus I need NatNetwork instead of NAT).

Here is an image of the ifconfig output (on owasp).
image.ibb.co/ jGV8NU /Untitled.png

I have tried everything I could possibly think of. However, I am almost a complete newbie when it comes to VMs. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
alexleence

Re: No INET addrss (eth0) in NatNetwork mode.

Post by alexleence »

Hello,
Since I failed to find out how to make dhcp work, I decided to hardcode the addresses as static ones. All you have to do is the following:
run: nano /etc/network/interfaces
Once the document is up, change dhcp to static and add your address and mask.
Thus:

Code: Select all

Iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.58.101 (or whatever address you want to use)
netmask 255.255.255.0
Then save the document (c^x -> Y), and restart the networking service by running /etc/init.d/networking restart
Afterward, assign another address like 192.168.58.102 to your second machine. Afterward, both of your machines will be able to ping each other (or/and access their respective addresses).
I hope this helps whomever was stuck like me.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No INET addrss (eth0) in NatNetwork mode.

Post by socratis »

The reason the you couldn't get a DHCP address is most probably because you didn't enable the DHCP server in its properties. Did you?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.