[Solved] Windows 10 virtual desktops switch

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Laloutre

[Solved] Windows 10 virtual desktops switch

Post by Laloutre »

Hello.

I'm using virtual box to virtualize Windows 7 under a Windows 10 host. I put the virtual machine in fullscreen mode on Windows 10 virtual desktop n°2, and i would like to be able to switch between virtual desktops using the normal 4 fingers gesture on the pad. So far, it only works if I press the host key before doing the gesture.
Is there any way I can make virtual box aware of the gesture, and send it to the host always , without having to press the host key before :?:

Also, any way to make the vm automatically start in fullscreen mode on a specific virtual desktop ?

Thanks.
Last edited by Laloutre on 14. Oct 2018, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 virtual desktops switch

Post by socratis »

Laloutre wrote:Is there any way I can make virtual box aware of the gesture
Not really. What you want VirtualBox to do is to read your mind and understand that you want to switch to the host based upon a specific action/input. What if your guest was also running Win10 with its own multiple desktops? Where would that gesture be directed to then, host or guest? There's only one way to make sure, and that's using the HostKey to direct the input to the host or the guest.
Laloutre wrote:Also, any way to make the vm automatically start in fullscreen mode on a specific virtual desktop ?
If I'm not mistaken, it starts exactly like the last time it was run/shutdown with physical monitors. Not with virtual ones.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Laloutre

Post by Laloutre »

socratis wrote:What if your guest was also running Win10 with its own multiple desktops? Where would that gesture be directed to then, host or guest? There's only one way to make sure, and that's using the HostKey to direct the input to the host or the guest.

Well, as clearly stated in my question, I want to direct this specific input to the host, regardless of the guess. Basically, i want this gesture to act as a HostKey. And if it can be implemented for a keyboard key, it's fair to assume it can be, maybe has been, implemented for a gesture.

So my question remains, is someone aware of a way to map certains gestures to the host, and only the host, regardless of the guest. Just as it's possible for a key.

Maybe a script on the host that would detect the gesture before virtual box capture it, and simulate a HostKey signal so that then virtual box directs the gesture toward the host ? Doesn't matter to me if the gesture send a HostKey signal even if virtual box isn't running. But I don't know what kind of script could take priority over Virtual Box capture of the pad .
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Laloutre wrote:it's fair to assume it can be, maybe has been, implemented for a gesture.
No. And if a gesture was implemented to replace the HostKey, it would only transfer control from/to host/guest.
Laloutre wrote:So my question remains, is someone aware of a way to map certains gestures to the host, and only the host, regardless of the guest.
No, can't do. If the host gets it, that fine, if not, not that much you can do. Just press the HostKey once and be done with it.
Laloutre wrote:Maybe a script on the host that would detect the gesture before virtual box capture it
That's not a "script" you're thinking of, that's a keyboard filter, i.e. kernel stuff, low level stuff.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Laloutre

Post by Laloutre »

I had to change computer, which means I'm now using the same VM one a fresh install of Windows 10.
And the 4 fingers gesture now works even with the VM in full screen.

So I'm not sure what changed in those 2 weeks : new VirtualBox version ? some Windows 10 update ?

Anyway, seems like switching virtual desktop is possible. So I'll mark this post as (mysteriously) solved.