Windows Update KB4091663 slows down Ubuntu Guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Wildon

Windows Update KB4091663 slows down Ubuntu Guests

Post by Wildon »

Hi,

Yesterday I found that both of my Ubuntu guests (18.04 and 16.04) on my Windows 10 host was running very slowly. Since it was running fine the day before, I thought it may be some updates causing it. It turned out to be one of the Windows Update that was installed overnight, KB4091663, that was the culprit. I have no idea why it was causing the low performance. when I uninstalled the update, the issue went away. I am using VirtualBox version 5.2.18.

I thought to share it here so people with similar problem may find a this useful.

W.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Update KB4091663 slows down Ubuntu Guests

Post by socratis »

Wildon wrote:I thought to share it here so people with similar problem may find a this useful.
Thanks for sharing. However, KB4091663: Intel microcode updates, according to the article (emphasis mine):
Intel recently announced that it has completed its validations and has started to release microcode for newer CPU platforms around Spectre Variant 2 (CVE 2017-5715: “Branch Target Injection”).
Slowing down is a side-effect that was expected in that case. That's how life is going to be from now on, slower.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Windows Update KB4091663 slows down Ubuntu Guests

Post by michaln »

socratis wrote:Slowing down is a side-effect that was expected in that case. That's how life is going to be from now on, slower.
Especially for those with Intel CPUs, because if you have one of those, you can either run fast or safe, but not both.