Error when trying to open a added VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Teijo

Error when trying to open a added VM

Post by Teijo »

Hi

I have newly migrated my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Before that I had VB with four VM's. One with Windows XP guest and a older Siemens PLC program, and further I had three different Windows 7 VM's with three newer Siemens PLC programs. Worked fine!
But now after I've migrated to W10 I can only get the Windows XP machine to work and the three W7 machines will not. I get the message:
acpi error.png
acpi error.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
So, now I'm stucked and can't get my work done. I've have unistalled both VB and all machines and installed them again, looked for clues in every file and registry I can think of but... nothing! The VM files that I'm using are the exact same that I used earlier on.

Please help me out! What to do...?

Sincerely / Teijo
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error when trying to open a added VM

Post by mpack »

The error message looks straightforward to me. At some point you installed a custom ACPI table using an absolute path to a data file. That path and/or data file no longer exists. Make it exist and the error will go away. Or, uninstall the custom ACPI table, which will almost certainly lead to you having to reactivate Windows.

See section 9.13 of the user manual.
Teijo

Post by Teijo »

Hi!
Thanx for reply. Yes I've tried that, but unfortunately I can´t open the VBoxSDL.exe in which I guess must do the commands. It sez that it´s an Incompatible Program when I try to troubleshoot it. It starts but closes after 2-3 seconds. Can I do the commands in an other way?

/T.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It sounds to me like VirtualBox has not been installed properly. You must use the installer, you can't copy executable files from another host. You certainly can't copy 32bit executables to a 64bit host, or vice versa.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Teijo wrote:unfortunately I can´t open the VBoxSDL.exe in which I guess must do the commands
You don't use VBoxSDL for the commands, you use VBoxManage. First make sure that you "cd" to the VirtualBox installation directory, typically "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox". So issuing the following:
  • 
    cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
    VBoxManage VBoxManage setextradata "<VMname>" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable"
will remove the custom ACPI table data.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Teijo

Post by Teijo »

Tried to open VBoxManage but it fail to open. It just blinks for a second and then shuts down. If I open it in Windows Power Shell as an Administrator it opens.
CD to the right folder and put the command:

.\VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 7 Step 7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable"

A few seconds of thinking and then back to C:\Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox>. Restart and... Nothing! Same thing, same error... :cry:

Gaah! I will get hairless before I get old... (Damn, I am old! :lol: )
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

mpack wrote:It sounds to me like VirtualBox has not been installed properly. You must use the installer ...
... using "Run as admininstrator" and installating while logged in as the intended user.

It is not correct to log in as the Admin user and install for that user.
Teijo

Post by Teijo »

Installed as "normal" user. Used as "normal" user. Unistalled and installed again using the Installer. Done as described in manual. Twice. Trice. But... no can do! :evil:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Teijo wrote:Tried to open VBoxManage but it fail to open. It just blinks for a second and then shuts down. If I open it in Windows Power Shell as an Administrator it opens.
CD to the right folder and put the command:

.\VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 7 Step 7" "VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable"

A few seconds of thinking and then back to C:\Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox>. Restart and... Nothing! Same thing, same error... :cry:
I'm having some trouble working out what the above means.

".\VBoxManage" means to execute the VBoxManage.exe executable file found in the current folder, don't search the path. It looks redundant. Without the leading ".\" it would mean search the path (starting from the current folder). However the latter will fail unless "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox" is included in the current path, or unless that is the current folder.

Also, VBoxManage is a command line app, intended to be run from inside a command console window. The command console window will not "blink and shut down" if a command fails to execute.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:The command console window will not "blink and shut down" if a command fails to execute.
That would mean that the OP tried to dbl-click on VBoxManage from a Windows Explorer window, methinks, and not actually run it from the Command Prompt window.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.