I cant restore my Snapshot VDI files

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Powers

I cant restore my Snapshot VDI files

Post by Powers »

hello guys, I have trouble I cant restore my Snapshot vdi files it writes that UUID is different stored on registry I deleted old UUID from vbox file and also vbox-prev also from VirtualBox.xml and VirtualBox.xml-prev

but I cant attached it again if anyone can fix my problem with TV I will pay him

its too much important to restore my snapshots

best regards
OS is Whonix Workstation
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: I cant restore my Snapshot VDI files

Post by socratis »

Restore from where to where? Do you mind giving full, complete and exact details about your setup and what's the operation you're trying to do? Step-by-step.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Powers

Post by Powers »

So I want to run Whonix-Workstation, everything was fine several days ago I cloned my VM and main Clone file I accidentally deleted I cant run it but I have Snapshots there and also olf exported OVA file, can I import this ova file and move also Snapshot folder with new imported ova file ?

can I explain everything on Teamivewer, hope you understand everything if you come

https://image.ibb.co/mkrHcU/snapshot.png
I imported old OVA file and want to attach new Snapshot, OS is same
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Powers wrote:can I import this ova file and move also Snapshot folder with new imported ova file ?
No, that won't work. It will be a spectacular failure. Snapshots are not "things" that you add on to any VM/VDI and expect to be where you were.

I'm afraid you're going to have to forget about your snapshots if you deleted the main VDI. They're pretty much useless without the base. See "Snapshot basics" for some more information on how snapshots work.

Start from the OVA that you have and move from there...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Powers

Post by Powers »

yes I understand this case but by the way 4 months ago I exported my OS to another hard drive output file is .OVA

also I cloned this OS and this clone location was not C drive disk it was on D local disk, so incidentally I deleted this clone and my OS didnt loaded it wrote errors maybe cloned VDI file was main file to this OS.

Now I have old OVA file and saved snapshots if I import this OVA to new folder (imported successfully) and if I copy/paste old Snapshots from old folder can I do Snapshot restore in this case? becase I told you backup OVA and snapshot files are from same OS, hope I must change or delete some UUID from old snapshots, If I think correctly may I restore last Snapshot which I got? this Snapshots is too important because I made last Snapshot 4 days ago and my Exported OVA file I did 2 months ago

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I already told you; no. When you exported your VM to an OVA you merged whatever snapshot you had. Now, this became a completely different system. You cssn'y apply "patches" (that's what snapshots are) to a different system.
Powers

Post by Powers »

I exported old OVA successfully and from this I want to attach some Snapshots http://prntscr.com/ky9fs9
but it writes me this :|

Code: Select all

Failed to open the disk image file C:\Users\myuserWindows\VirtualBox VMs\newWhonix-Workstation\Snapshots\{7f578c31-e62a-482d-a2e7-7fa22a99c039}.vdi.

Parent medium with UUID {13e82037-6853-4a3a-8d7a-90bc0aed72c2} of the medium 'C:\Users\cityhall\VirtualBox VMs\newWhonix-Workstation\Snapshots\{7f578c31-e62a-482d-a2e7-7fa22a99c039}.vdi' is not found in the media registry ('C:\Users\cityhall\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml').

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Callee: IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
so I have no any chance to load my any Snapshots? I have 7 Snapshots there and they have big sizes 3.5 GB, 2 GB etc...
its to important to me :cry:
if anyone are able to see live I'm ready for payment because my OS is too improtant for me, sorry if I make any embarrassment
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Powers wrote:so I have no any chance to load my any Snapshots?
No. For the last time, no.
Powers wrote:if anyone are able to see live I'm ready for payment because my OS is too improtant for me
All the money in the world can't make that happen.

Your loss doesn't let you hear me. Please do. The only thing that you have is the OVA from 2 months ago. Unfortunately that's it.