[Solved] Critical error while running virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
arunblr

[Solved] Critical error while running virtual machine

Post by arunblr »

Hi,
I am trying to start an Ubuntu (32 bit) VM and am getting an error - A critical error has occured while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.

Have zipped and attached the log files - please can you help.

Thanks,
Arun
Attachments
Logs.zip
(51.76 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by socratis on 21. Sep 2018, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Critical error while running virtual machine

Post by socratis »

00:00:25.304025 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2403 (VERR_TRPM_DONT_PANIC)
This is the Guru Meditation that you're getting.
00:00:03.748700 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
00:00:04.881913 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz"
And this is "why" you're getting that error. You will need to address/fix the VT-x availability. Your i5-450M CPU most certainly supports VT-x, so it's a matter of enabling it in the BIOS. See your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this. Also, make sure that nothing else has an exclusive hold on the VT-x.

But, besides that, I'd really like to point out your RAM situation:
00:00:03.600417 Host RAM: 2934MB (2.8GB) total, 1046MB available
00:00:03.747996 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000080000000 (2 147 483 648, 2 048 MB)
The RAM that you have installed is barely enough to run your Windows 10 host. And you see that it has 1046 MB left for applications only. And you assigned 2048 MB to your VM. Where is that RAM going to come from? You don't have it to begin with! You seriously need to get a lot more of RAM if you want to run any VMs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
arunblr

Post by arunblr »

Awesome, thanks a lot. I enabled virtualization in the BIOS, and it worked.

Absolutely take your point about the shortage of RAM. I am taking a Hyperledger course on my old laptop which I use mainly for learning/music etc. The course requires me to install this, so its more of a one time activity. For now, I have reduced the requirement to 1GB RAM and will give it a shot, even if it slows my VM down :)

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Arun
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

arunblr wrote:I enabled virtualization in the BIOS, and it worked.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.