[Solved] VirtualBox is nolonger recognizing my processor's Hardware Assisted Virtualization support.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CommanderTuna

[Solved] VirtualBox is nolonger recognizing my processor's Hardware Assisted Virtualization support.

Post by CommanderTuna »

VirtualBox is nolonger recognizing my processor's Hardware Assisted Virtualization support. It used to work just fine, but trying to launch a 64-bit Ubuntu guest machine just gives this:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Linux Personal.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Intel-VT is enabled in the BIOS. I've checked Task Manager > Performance > CPU and saw that Windows did have access to hardware assisted virtualization. I haven't changed ANY settings since the last time I used VirtualBox, in or out of the program, other than installing a bunch of stuff like MySQL, Apache 2.4, Visual Studio 2017, Xenko, etc.

I don't quite understand where this all went wrong. I'm still looking into solving it myself but I would really appreciate if someone explained it to me.

And if you happen to know of any way the configuration files might cause this issue, then let me know. I've had times before where VBox would start with a somehow corrupted settings file and I'd have to go in and manually fix it (which just brought more errors whether I did it right or not.)

In case you're wondering about my CPU:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz

Base speed:	1.99 GHz
	Sockets:	1
	Cores:	4
	Logical processors:	8
	Virtualization:	Enabled
	L1 cache:	256 KB
	L2 cache:	1.0 MB
	L3 cache:	8.0 MB
 Edit: Just FYI, I recently also installed some DirectX SDK stuff, Windows 10 SDK, etc. and I can't remember when but one of the recent tools I installed offered me something related to HyperV. And according to a StackExchange post (I can't share a link to it because this is a new account) HyperV causes conflict. 
Last edited by socratis on 21. Sep 2018, 01:15, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox is nolonger recognizing my processor's Hardware Assisted Virtualization support.

Post by socratis »

CommanderTuna wrote:I would really appreciate if someone explained it to me.
By all means. Read the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...

But given the programs you installed, I'd say that one of them installed a service that captures VT-x exclusively. Even MySQL does that, at least some versions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CommanderTuna

Re: VirtualBox is nolonger recognizing my processor's Hardware Assisted Virtualization support.

Post by CommanderTuna »

socratis wrote:
CommanderTuna wrote:I would really appreciate if someone explained it to me.
But given the programs you installed, I'd say that one of them installed a service that captures VT-x exclusively. Even MySQL does that, at least some versions.
Alright, I'll look into seeing if MySQL or any of my Web server software has to do with this.

I just read that Hyper-V virtualization in Windows causes issues as well, so I might try seeing if I should disable that.
CommanderTuna

Post by CommanderTuna »

Alright, I disabled the HyperV platform and it's working again. And sorry for not looking it up first.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

CommanderTuna wrote:I disabled the HyperV platform and it's working again
Unfortunately Hyper-V is turning more and more into a pest. And no need to apologize ;)

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.