Cannot Use COM1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rchrdm

Re: Cannot Use COM1

Post by rchrdm »

I activated XP over the phone, so I may not need Internet access. Just COM1.

Richard
rchrdm

Post by rchrdm »

I did some more searching and found this from 2010. However, it does not seem to work.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26860

I went through the process twice and end up with two COM1 ports in the Device Manager. One looks OK and the other has a yellow exclamation mark on it. When I open its properties, it says that the device cannot find enough free resources to function.

I can see COM1 in the software I am trying to use, but data does not flow into it from my peripheral device.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Richard,
Please do not post in every other thread that has serial communication, especially an old one. You have your own dedicated thread. I've deleted you duplicate post from the thread "How to: Add a Serial Port in Windows XP and 7 Guest".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rchrdm

Post by rchrdm »

Sorry, but I only pasted in one reference, which I thought was pretty good. No sense in re-inventing the process if that works.

Thanks for the help.

Richard
rchrdm

Post by rchrdm »

It would be nice to know if that procedure from the older post still works. I had problems with it.

Isn't there a good set of instructions for how to set up serial and USB ports in the guess application (in my case XP)?

What I could find in the manual was not that helpful.

Richard
Last edited by rchrdm on 22. Sep 2018, 01:21, edited 2 times in total.
rchrdm

Post by rchrdm »

Not sure what happened here. Sorry if I did something wrong.

OK, I see. You did not want me to post to an old thread. The last reply in that thread was in 2016, so I thought it might be worth a try and would save others from having to help with this.

I will stay in this thread if that's best.

Richard
rchrdm

Post by rchrdm »

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Richard
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I can't think of anything to add to the information already given. If no piece of the puzzle has been left out then serial comms should be working. If it isn't then the only thing I can think of doing is to test it: connect via the serial port another computer running terminal software, and see what if anything can be sent back and fore, and at what baud rates.

Speaking of which: is the baud rate and parity configured inside the ham radio app? If not then I believe there's an XP control panel applet to configure the serial port default parameters to what the ham radio device expects.
rchrdm

Post by rchrdm »

Thanks.